"Make my Dreams Come True" - Hall and Oates

Looks like that this is it, i.e. the correct patch, but the original sound must’ve been compressed or additionally EQ-ed.

Maybe i will try again too this afternoon… did you use a midi-file, because there are also some other instruments playing?

Oh, BTW: Shouldn’t we move this thread over to the “Sound-Design” sub too?

Done :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here I found some samples

1 Like

I thought your recording of Make My Dreams Come True with the Syntronik patch was pretty damn close. Perhaps tt sounded a bit bright to my ears. Maybe EQ out some of the high end?

I played a bit around with diffrent pianos and effects… well i would say it’s not to 100% (maybe not even 90%) but i would say it comes quite close.
Unfortunately because i am a lousy piano player, i didn’t manage to really get that groove out of my fingers on the fly, so i used a crappy midi file for this demo loop - it’s ok enough to hear the character of the sound:

This is what i’ve built…

• a reed based patch from Lounge Lizard and
  • a patch from Arturias Wurly V2
  • an effects chain from IK’s Mix Box (containing Tone Control, Phaser, Oversceamer, Channel Strip)
  • Arturia’s Spring Reverb
  • Melda’s PEQ

For those who have these plugins (i guess there will be two or three plugin collectors :wink: )
Here is the rackspace:
mydreams3.rackspace (33.9 KB)

Could be that after all the testing, playing and adjusting i think that it sounds ok, but actually it is a pile of acoustical crap… i can’t tell for sure right now. Go tell me. :grimacing: :sunglasses: :sweat_smile:

It sounds great to me!

1 Like

And that qualifies as sound design??? :crazy_face:

For any of you that have never played an actual CP-30, it is a very unique keyboard. First, the feel is somewhat semi-weighted. In particular, the harpsichord sound and the ability to set decay on voices give it a very unique tonality. It is VERY hard to capture any other way than potentially sampling the source exactly as you want to hear it in your rig. You will likely never find another keyboard action that feels quite like it. The CP-30 (and later the CP-35) were a huge part of Greg Hawkes sound on the first three Cars albums in addition to the iconic tone in “You Make my Dreams Come True”.

My very good friend and keyboard mentor, Leo Bud Johns had one of these back in the late 70’s into the mid-80s that he modified for a certain stereo panning sound across the range of the keyboard. It was used on this gem on one of my soundcloud pages as the main piano sound. Stream EEG Number 1 by Jim Erwin 3 | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

If interested in vintage keys, read the description of the song. The custom modular synth I first cut my teeth on is also featured on this song.

X

1 Like

Ah… probably i used the wrong words… :sweat_smile:
What i wanted to say is, that having fiddled around for quite a long time always hearing the same sound and trying to improve it, the brain at some point says “hey, now it sounds great”… and in good faith you upload that and show it to the public.
But after a while, with some distance (maybe the next day), you listen to your oh so “great sound” and you notice… well, it isn’t great at all anymore (= pile of crap).
That’s what i supposed could have happened as well… :innocent:
I’m sure this is something everybody has expirienced somehow (I’m pretty sure you also had some “great code” which later turned out to be… well… :grimacing: )

Absolutely: that’s the SACS, the “@Schamass Additive Crap Synthesis” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

It’s rather the SUCKS, the “Schamass’ unbelievably crappy keyboard skills”. :grimacing: :joy:

1 Like

That is absolutely true — spend two days in a recording studio and think you’ve got something awesome then listen to it a few days later and it’s terrible! Been there - several times —

2 Likes

Known generally as “ear fatigue” and effects different people differently.

The number one thing to limiting this is lowering the volume. We all have the problem that louder sounds better, so we turn it up, and then for reasons nobody understands our brains start to apply weird filters. You don’t know it happened until your ears “rest” and your brain shuts off those filters it applied. Then your awesome sound sounds like junk.

Number two fix is short breaks. Once you start to detect you’re starting to suffer ear fatigue you can unwind it by just stopping and letting your ears clear for 5 or 10 mins.

Seems everyone is different about how much time and volume they can tolerate before this fatigue sets in.

3 Likes

I personally cannot detect it, I notice it the next day… :smirk: