Logic pro X and integration (New upgrade)

Hello,
I’m starting to really like using some loops with Ableton and my rev2 (threw GP).
The thing is I’m just using the trial version.
Same thing for Logic pro, I think I really prefer the general interface.
The new upgrade is allowing loop to be apparently really powerful, a bit like Ableton.
So I have a question :
Does linking with Logic work as good as Ableton, and scripting also ?
Or with something like a novation launch pro ?
Or is this better to do everything with Ableton and get used to it.
Thank you

Because Logic Pro is brand new I cannot tell you,
but what I saw is only similar to Ableton Live when you do not look to deep at it.

My experience with Ableton Live and my feeling is: go with Ableton Live.

I don’t think Logic supports Ableton Link, in case that’s relevant.

Guys : OK
I’ll go with Ableton :slight_smile:
It’s just that for arrangement I really like Logic…or…I’m just a bit used to it.
I guess I will get used to Ableton :slight_smile:

You know that Ableton Live has an Arrangement View?

Yes I do :slight_smile:

I just started with Live yesterday and it stopped quite quickly after I defined a VST plugin path that Live disliked. It stopped working and couldn’t even be restarted. I had to remove some config files before it works again :stuck_out_tongue:

And my first aim was only to record my son singing on a backtrack for his school. I only succeeded to add a bit of the built-in reverb and convert the record to an mp3 :cold_face:

I think I will have to find a tutorial with basics :nerd_face:

1 Like

Hehehe ! So many things to learn :slight_smile:

Right now I am struggling with live : I recorded the voice of my son after the intro. When I play it, it is OK, but when I export the rendered result, both the back track and the voice start at the same time while the voice should only start after the intro :grimacing: Any advice for me to export the song as hear it during playback ??? :grimacing:

It seems that I playback and recorded in session mode, but the export is in arrangement mode. But I don’t know how to align everything the proper way… and I have to send my fu@&)&€ing record ASAP while I had no time to discover the concepts behind live :cry:

I would like to be able too use Logic or Cubase with GP3 as well, so I’m going to keep following this thread to see if anyone else can get it happening, now that LPX has clips,I really don’t want to buy Live

Depending on what you need to do with Live, but I still find a lot of value using the free version of Live I got with my audio interface. I think it gets bundled with a lot of products.

Old post, I know; but my experience is recent and people might find it useful.

I will be using Logic Pro as a ‘recorder’ in my setup, and as a source for ‘virtual soundcheck.’ The choice to use Logic here is driven by my bandmates’ comfort with Logic Pro opposed to other DAWs, Logic’s ability to share Logic Pro projects via Splice, and the unacceptable amount of time involved in converting 4-hour, 40-track recordings from other DAWs into Logic Pro projects. It takes quite a while.

My take: Use anything else if you can. Logic Pro truly dislikes being controlled from 3rd party apps. Automating quiet automatic startup is a pain (lots of dialogues to program my way around,) No easy way to save current/start new with default profile simultaneously without manual work. Does not slave to external tempo, whether Ableton Live, MIDI Clock, or other.
I’d have loved to have used Logic to play backing tracks and clicks, or as my live looper… but with no good way to call up new projects by MIDI command I cannot use it as master; and with no way to slave to external I cannot use it as slave.
I really do like Logic Pro as a mixdown tool… but Ableton and Reaper run circles around it as part of an integrated live sound rig.

1 Like

Ableton Live is the perfect choice.
I load all songs as scenes and from GP the desired scene is selected by selecting the song and send an OSC message to a custom m4l patch.
global play in gp starts/stops the selected scene.

1 Like

Sounds like heaven.

When I last looked into Ableton Live, the only obvious way to open projects was using Fluqe’s ‘OnStage’ software offerings. These seem perfect (for Logic, too!), but the company have migrated to an expensive monthly subscription format. $75/month is waaay out of line for a non-professional musician.

So encouraging to see that you’ve got Ableton doing this work predictably. I’ll be hacking away at Logic using Bome Midi Translator Pro and Applescript, envious of your slick Ableton rig. Both my bandmates purchased Logic with their Macs while I was still trying to figure out a better solution. Now that I know the better solution, I won’t be convincing them to purchase and learn a new DAW anytime soon. :frowning:

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply to my old post :slight_smile:
I’m happy that I chose Ableton Live then !!
All the best for you.

2 Likes