Local On/Off for YC61 - help needed

I’m in the process of integrating my new YC61 (love it) into my GigPerformer rig and I’m trying to map a widget to control the local on/off on the keyboard. I can see a CC control and throught it would be as simple as mapping a widget to that but it’s not working.

I’ve seen the same question asked here and am seeing the same behaviour. Looking to remotely set midi Local on/off - General discussion about Gig Performer - Gig Performer Community

Can anyone help shed some light for me? :thinking:

If you open the global MIDI Monitor and then send the Local On (or Off) message from your keyboard, what is displayed in the MIDI Monitor?

Nothing in MIDI Monitor I’m afraid. I am seeing CC events when I move the drawbars and other controls however.

It’s not the end of the world - I just have to manually set to Local Control to off when using GigPerformer and switch it back on when I’m not. The problem is that I’m used to doing EVERYTHING via GigPerformer so the idea of actually having to interact with hardware directly is still a novelty for me :grinning:

According to the yc61 manual it does not support CC for local on/off. You have to use system common messages.

1 Like

I wonder if this is a pretty common issue. It is especially important for people (like me) who want to switch between internal hardware keyboard sounds and GP sounds during a performance.

I think a lot of people get around it (like me with one of my keyboards) by turning down the master volume on the keyboard when I am using GP sounds.

On another one of my keyboards I was able to create a user preset (within the drawbar organs) that does not generate any sound. So I use that silent sound “slot” when I want to use that keyboard as a controller keyboard. (Also I
managed to use my Casio’s split/layer section (called Registrations) so that this is using Midi channel 3. This is because I am using the lower split, which sends data on midi channel 3. To do this I created a split point at the very top of my keyboard so basically the entire keyboard is the lower split, using a “user tone” that does not generate any sound and sends out midi data on channel 3).

No need to switch during live performance.

Switch off Local Control at the start of the gig (keep it off) and when you need to access internal sounds, switch to a rackspace where you have a MIDI In block connected to the MIDI Out block for your hardware keyboard. It’s the equivalent of Local Control being set to on.

1 Like

Generally it might be a workaround, depending on what you actually want to do (which we don’t know), to just keep the keyboard switched to “Local OFF” and then create the “local bridge” between the keybed and the internal soundengine by connecting the according “midi in” and “midi out” within Gig Performer on a rackspace/variation base… this would be the easiest way to handle this!

I just saw that @LMercuri proposed the same, and even added an illustration of how it looked like in wiring view… that’s the way it would be done! :beers: :+1:

If you insist on sending cryptic messages to your keyboard, i think (as far as i’ve read in the manual - i don’t own a YC61) youd have to create a sysex message according to the MIDI specifications…

So the message to set LOCAL OFF might be F0, 43, 11, 7F, 1C, 09, 20, 00, 09, 00, F7
and LOCAL ON might be F0, 43, 11, 7F, 1C, 09, 20, 00, 09, 01, F7

…not entirely sure about the device number - i just guessed it would be “1”

4 Likes

I’ll give it a try and report back… I appreciate it!

I think I could have gone down that route when I was first trying to figure this out.

The set up I have now works reasonably well.

But one (significant) limitation is I can’t use GP to switch sounds on my CTK 7200. It is crippled in some respects in receiving outside midi data.

I have to check whether the CTK-7200 could receive outside midi program data on channel 1 so I could change sounds But, i don’t think so.

But, for most people, the method you just referenced makes a lot of sense.

Now, back to sleep…ZZZ

[Sorry I interrupted this thread]

1 Like

It works! Thanks again.

2 Likes

By the way, I appreciate the screen grabs and annotations showing how you put this together. You’ve not only solved my problem but given me enough understanding to construct messages for the rest of the parameters! Kudos to you - this truly is a great user community.

4 Likes