Load gig File as it was saved: Setlist View et al

I thought choosing “last viewed” would have the gigfile open exactly as it was closed. Mine always do, but I’ve got so much stuff in mine I’m not exactly sure if there’s something else causing that.

If you want to set up a gigfile so it always opens in Setlist View or Rackspace view depending on what you last saved you should be able to do that by saving a button widget in the Global Rackspace and assigning it to “System Actions → TogglePanelSetlistView”. It will then toggle on or off according to whether you’re in Setlist mode, and should return you to whatever mode you were in when last saved. (I haven’t tested this, but I think it should work.)

Regarding your MIDI issues, I think you might be suffering from the problem that every time you plug any USB device into a different USB port Windows considers it to be a different device.

In GP you can click “Options → MIDI Ports” and see the list of available ports. GP does remember what you choose there.

If the MIDI from something that is connected isn’t getting to GP then it may be because that device doesn’t have a multi-client MIDI driver and some other program grabbed it first. When that happens there’s not much GP can do about it until whatever other program grabbed it releases it.

There’s nothing special about setlist view and CC messages - you can assign any message you want to select a particular song part.

Yes, that’s it! I think there is a lot that is special about Setlist View - because you can assign any message you want to do all manner of things (DAWs really struggle with this, so GP having it, especially for live is fantastic).

The salient point here is you can’t do that in other parts of GP - it’s limited mostly to PC msgs only.
I think this is good example, but still relatively new to GP…
I believe to control Rackspace Variations from the Rackspace View (i.e. not from Setlist View) you have to use PC msgs. PC msgs these days are problematic as many controllers are setup for note and CC. Also you can get PC changes in places you don’t actually want them! (and an be a pain to disable and will that hurt something else etc etc)

This is why I mentioned it as an RFE - it is far from trivial to port the Setlist View’s ‘any-MIDI-message-to-any-command’ thing to other parts of GP without serious thought, design consideration and testing.

Thanks for your response.
It does look like there’s a few ways to get Setlist View to come up at start and your suggestions sound good. ‘last viewed’ is really good, as it would then presumably follow the gig file that was loaded (rather than a global setting). So I’ll try that, thanks.
Yes USB devices and MIDI on Windows is, umm, let’s just say, very ‘Microsofty’ :joy: !
I do have a MIDI controller who definitely doesn’t have a multi-client driver! (the others do) I make sure its config utility is not running as given the chance, it will connect to it and, as you rightly say, takes control of it and won’t share it with anyone.
Those things aside, I just don’t get MIDI issues when starting Studio One. Having written device drivers for Windows over the years, I know all too well the minefield, particularly with Windows USB.

The only thing that is currently limited to PC messages is selection of variations.

But you can just create a GigScript that would convert incoming CC messages with a certain number (say) to PC messages to which variations would respond.

Some examples are in this article: [blog] The most flexible MIDI processing

1 Like

Hi,
Thanks for the tip…I’ll search up an article on the scripting for MIDI msg xlate.
I do like the scripting feature, great for customization.
Thanks! :slight_smile:

Great! Thank you for sharing this - very useful!
Great GP community - you ask a question, and lots of useful answers are forthcoming…! :+1:

Here’s a trivial example where incoming notes are being converted into CC messages where the CC number is the Note Number and the CC value is the Note Velocity

2 Likes