List of Rackspaces via OSC

Is it possible to get a list of all rackspaces via OSC?
One could build a control surface in Lemur to locate a specific rackspace by the click of a button in a matrix.
Like fire clips in Ableton live.

That’s so funny you suggest this now. I created an initial template for Lemur last week for people to use as a starting point and on my flight to California yesterday (I’m at NAMM for the next few days) I started thinking about enhancements I would like to see and the first thing that came to mind was to be able to get a list of rackspaces so I could have a Lemur view to switch directly to a rackspace or variation by name.

However, I think I read somewhere that Lemur menus are limited to 32 entries so it’s unclear to me how best to implement this OSC request. In particular, string handling in Lemur seems to be very limited so it’s difficult to slice and dice stuff. I’m not even sure what’s available for actually interpreting data in a received OSC message.

I’m wondering whether we need to be able to get a rackspace/variation count as a separate request and I’m also wondering whether we need to be able to add arguments to the OSC request to return particular ranges rather than just the entire list. I’m also wondering whether we need to be able to get a list of rackspaces WITHOUT variations, and get a list of variations for a single rackspace (and then we need a request to get the count of variations for a specified rackspace).

So this one is non-trivial. Would be interested in your thoughts.

David,

attached you find a picture of a proof of concept.

In this max patch I tried to simulate a script in Lemur.

For example there is a matrix of 20 Pads or Buttons in Lemur in the on load event Gig Performer could be asked for the name of Rackspace 1, next Rackspace 2, next Rackspace 3 etc.
Just a loop from 1 to 20.

In the on OSC event the system knows wich rackspace was asked for (the actual value of the loop) and sets the label of the corresponding pad or button.
So the loop should have a delay, the osc message should come back before the loop fetches the next number.

So it is no issue that lemur cannot do substring or similar things.

By the way: I cannot upload any images from Mac Book Pro?
I sent you an E-Mail with the picture.

David,

attached you find a picture of a proof of concept.

In this max patch I tried to simulate a script in Lemur.

For example there is a matrix of 20 Pads or Buttons in Lemur in the on load event Gig Performer could be asked for the name of Rackspace 1, next Rackspace 2, next Rackspace 3 etc.
Just a loop from 1 to 20.

In the on OSC event the system knows wich rackspace was asked for (the actual value of the loop) and sets the label of the corresponding pad or button.
So the loop should have a delay, the osc message should come back before the loop fetches the next number.

So it is no issue that lemur cannot do substring or similar things.

I would like to know if you found how to do it. This is exactly what I would need.

Sorry, I did not investigate further.
I am using Duet on my iPad.
So no need for Lemur.
The Widgets are controlled from my S88.
Rackspace down and up too.
Durt is the perfect solution for visual feedback.
And because of the new audio player I do not have to use Ableton Live for background Tracks.
For playing Videos I am using Grand VJ
Which is controlled by Toobtrack EZ Player Pro, which can be loaded as VST Plugin in GigPerformer.
Works perfect for me.

There is no current way to do this – I will add it to our tracking system as something for a future update

@Pianopaul, how is Duet working out for you? I am considering it for my iPad 4 connected to an early 2011 MBP (8,1) via an iConnectMIDI4+.

Does Duet’s companion app cause any slowdowns or crashes on your Mac? This would be a showstopper for me.

Thanks and regards,

Mike

Hi Mike,

at home I did not face any issue.
Last Saturday before the gig I faced an issue where the iPad did not react, the Mac Book Pro had not issue.
So I decided not to use duet for the gig…

I think best would be to get a list of rackspaces and variations via OSC.
Remote control - but this is only my thought - would be not necessary.
Just to see what rackspaces are defined and what is the current rackspace/variation.

I control GigPerformer with my S88 - works perfect.

I also did some tests with Max/MSP and MIRA to remote switch the rackspaces/variations.
Was working fine, but I was not able to get the list of rackspaces and put the text on the buttons defined with Max/Msp.

Maybe one day we will see an iPad-App to control GigPerformer :wink:

@Mike: Duet Version 1.6.3.6 seems to run very smooth.

Gr8 to know, @Pianopaul; thanks!

I downloaded the latest Windows version, 1.4.7.8, to do a quick test on a Win10 machine with a 24" monitor…not a very good experience, to say the least. So I won’t waste any additional time here…

As soon as I get to my MBP setup, I will download the latest version, 1.6.5.5. Hopefully this release will be stable and smooth; else, I might need to contact the developer for 1.6.3.6.

Best regards,

Mike

Quick OT…I thought I was fat-fingering my caps, but it turns out that the Forum’s IDE lowered the case in your name…Pianopaul -> pianopaul. (Perhaps the @ is causing the case conversion.) <LØL!>

Ahem…we now return to our regularly scheduled programming. :smiley:

Attempted to test Duet Display on my iPad 4, connected to MBP via an iConnectMIDI4+. Unfortunately (as confirmed by Duet), it is a no-go using the iConnect because its iPad/iPhone/computer ports are USB 1.0 for MIDI, and the ClassCompliant USB 2.0 port is meant for MIDI devices only. The apps on the MBP and iPad do not even communicate…no device found.

So…as a last resort, I will try using my powered 4A USB hub to connect both the iPad and NanoKontrol controller to one of the MBP’s USB ports (the other to which my Focusrite 8i6 audio interface is connected). Duet frowns on the use of a hub, claiming that the video might get interrupted…but I’m gonna try it anyway. :wink:

if (failedDuetDisplayTest)
{
useLemurOrTouchOSC();
}
else
{
stareAtMBPScreenAllNight();
}

:smiley:

Sorry, the iConnect, not the NanoKontrol (which is connected to the iConnect’s USB 2.0 port). :open_mouth:

@Mike: There is a new update of Duet for iPhone/ipad

@Pianopaul, I realize I have left out one detail regarding my OS version: I have decided to remain with Mavericks (10.9.5) for the time being. Unfortunately, for this reason, I could not install the updated version; in fact, I could not install several updated versions…AND the version I needed was no longer available on Duet’s site. A quick email to the Support Team resolved the issue; a link to the latest version for Mavericks was emailed to me.

The above being said, my iConnect issue will still remain, since my iPad cannot be connected to any of the unit’s USB ports…the three Type B ones are 1.0, and the regular (Type A) port, though 2.0, is meant for MIDI communication only. I might try combining devices into my powered hub to see if ev’rything works…but the more I think about it, I’m probably better off using OSC. In fact, Dr. David’s Lemur template appears to provide what I need. Which brings me to another topic…for another thread…

Best regards,

Mike

…And yet again, the first letter of your name was reduced to lower case after the fact…héh, must be me. :-/

Just to add my attempt on this…
I´m using a lenovo i7 tablet (Miix720) that I placed on top of the upper keyboard (where I used an ipad for sending program changes before). It´s almost impossible to see from the audience perspective (which is important for me), it gives me touch control and I have processing and control in one device.