Layering Racks

So I’ve tried a few different ASIO audio interfaces with two instances of GP with mixed results.

I think I need clarification on one thing: When using multiple instances of GP, is it necessary to use a true multi-client device – that is a device that can run ASIO in more than one program at once?

One audio interface I tested worked with two instances of GP, but there seemed to be some other (bad) issues with its Win 10 drivers, so I abandoned it. Another worked fine with GP, but wouldn’t even allow a second instance to load. The current one I’m using works well, and will allow a second instance of GP to load, but when I select it as the audio device GP gives me an error, “can’t create i/o buffers”. Any idea what might be causing that?

I’ve read that RME and Native Instruments are the only two companies that always make multiclient ASIO devices, and then several other companies are hit and miss. I just thought I’d test the various devices I have before buying something new, especially if I end up going external anyway. I don’t have a need for an ASIO device with 48v phantom preamps as I’ve got dedicated equipment for acoustic recording.

It’s astonishing to me that the default for a device is not multi-client support.
Right now, when you create two instances of GP, they are essentially separate applications so a device that only handle one app at a time won’t work. There are however several solutions including virtual MIDI and virtual audio drivers that can get around his limitation. I don’t know too much about them but I suspect other users here have experience with them.

Having said that, if you can afford RME, those are just wonderful. My touring rig is RME based, never had a moment’s trouble with it.

A few suggestions …

• You cannot run a different sample rate in two applications so make sure your settings are the same.
  • Do not use that ASIO device for your system sounds
  • Try using ASIO4ALL and see if you can then run two GP instances

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies.

Yes it IS crazy. From what I’ve read, the vast majority of devices are not capable of true multi-client ASIO. Many claim to be, but they often just mean you can run ASIO in one program and watch YouTube at the same time. Steinberg has software that can run any ASIO device (including ASIO4ALL) in multiple programs at once… unfortunately it only works with 32-bit software (and they don’t disclose that in any of their information!). I’ve also read that JACK (popular with Linux users) can be made to get multiclient ASIO to work, but it sounds a little complex – does anyone have experience using JACK for multiclient ASIO?

ASIO4ALL can only handle ASIO in a single application, from what I’ve read and from my experience (otherwise I’m very happy with ASIO4ALL). I did know about making sure sample rates match in all applications.

djogon, I’m not sure I understand this suggestion: “do not use that ASIO device for your system sounds.” With some of the ASIO devices I’ve used it wouldn’t be possible as they take over completely (like ASIO4ALL). But most (maybe all??) multi-client ASIO devices seem to be designed to do this. But that’s the extent of my knowledge so maybe I’m missing something?

For my own future reference, and for anyone else who might later find this useful, I’ll link to a thread with some good information regarding multiclient ASIO devices: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/1020607-audio-interfaces-fully-multi-client-drivers.html

I might give JACK a try, but I’m definitely considering going ahead with an RME or Native Instruments audio interface.

Thanks again.

Oh, and this is somewhat unrelated, but in large/dedicated music venues, what would be the most prefered way to send a stereo audio feed (from a computer/USB device) to the house? 1/4 TRS, XLR, RCA, SPDIF, other? I know I can adapt, but if I end up buying another audio device for this, it would be nice to minimize the need for adapting.

Sorry for the basic question – as a classical musician my electronic/amplified performance experience has been more recent and limited to small/medium venues.

Probably better for another thread, but preferred would be XLR via a DI box - balanced mic level (which is what a DI will send out) is what almost all mixers are expecting. Most sound engineers would have a spare DI or two around so sending out via Jack at line level is also OK, but if you are doing gigs regularly then getting a good DI for each output you need is a good investment (and by good, don’t skimp - go for Radial, Orchid, BSS, etc)

Ah, for long cable runs, makes sense. Thanks.

I don’t use DI boxes, just balanced XLR cables from my RME

1 Like

I am using AES from my RME UFX II for sending Stereo to our Soundcraft Mixer.

So the answer actually is, whatever FoH want!

1 Like

You basically need balanced cables which can be really long - that’s what every FoH will want.
If you have an unbalanced cable coming out of your source - use a DI box to turn it into a balanced one and you’re all set. If your signal is already balanced - you don’t need a DI box unless you want some other properties that some DI boxes offer.

Most mixers are happiest with a signal which is at microphone level and - as importantly if not more so - impedance. Going straight from an interface balanced outs at line level will usually work with most mixers, but going DI will basically guarantee all is good and gives the engineer a good range of level to work with (rather than having to run preamp gain at minimum or stick a pad in). The other benefit of going through a properly galvanically isolated DI (any passive DI with a transformer, most good active DIs) is that any electrical issues that the mixer might have is not going to fry your interface…

1 Like

Thanks everyone, very useful information. So basically balanced, and ideally also mic level. Anyway that makes my choice of audio interface devices simple as I can always go with a DI box if need be.

So as to the ASIO question – does anyone have experience with JACK for multiclient ASIO?

http://jackaudio.org/faq/jack_on_windows.html

Did you get Jack Audio to work with Gig performer! I tried and Gig performer crashes everytime time I try to switch to Jack Audio Asio Drivers.

No, it was over my head and I couldn’t confirm if it would work with 64 bit applications (a problem with other such software). I guess that might be what you’re running into, but who knows?

I went the hardware route to solve the problem–using a Native Instruments audio interface (excellent multi-client ASIO) into a Radial DI box.

I have never had any luck with JACK (tried it a few times on Mac) …it’s really aimed at the Linux world and I don’t know any serious musician who uses it.

Hi dhj,

should this work on Pianoteq 6 Stage too?

I loaded the gig file but nothing happens.

Greetings Tobi

Hi @tobifis
maybe I can help you.
What issue do you have with Pianoteq?