Latency - to old, to much or wrong equipment?

FWIW…

I use a Hammond Organ that is patched into a MOTU M4 and that sound is processed in GP and then comes out of the MOTU M4.

I am running at 48 KHz and 128 samples (2.7 ms, nominal) and it feels like there is no discernable latency.

Some thoughts on latency:

On my 2015 13" MBP I have two GP instances to optimize latency.

My main instance was setup to run all plugins and effect /w ~384 samples and my second instance /w 192 samples.

The 2nd instance only adds the analog outputs of my Kurzweil to the audio interface to access/match levels and limit…

BBB

You should be able to use ASIO4ALL if you want to try, however I would still not recommend using the Kronos as your audio interface. You’d do much better to get a dedicated audio interface or mixer that can double as an audio interface and keyboard submix (like I do with my XR-18).

1 Like

This driver is awfull with regard to latency :grimacing:

1 Like

Today was our next rehearsal and I have changed the settings because of the advice of pianopaul and djogon. At first I tried 256 Samples.

With Hammond B-3X GP displayed more than 45% of the CPU. With Hammond B-3X and Omnispehre GP displayed 70% of the CPU.

So I went as low as my MBP stays under 40% of the CPU (displayed in GP), the result ist 320 samples

With this setting it was possible for me to play the Korg Kronos as Audio Interface.

The problem is solved: Next year I will buy a new MacBookPro. :wink:

Were you getting noise or clicks?

I strongly suggest an audio board. With at least 4 analog input. You will use Kronos as a synth and as an input for the audio board. Audio board will drive all your VSTs.
Much cheaper than a MacBookPro.
I just bought an Audient Evo8.
160 Euros. Perfect drivers. Software mix. Very low latency

Now I am confused, probably it is the language barrier.

I think, the Radial Key Largo is “the audio board”. It is a 4-channel Keyboard Mixer. This mixer gives dual analog inputs for up to three keyboards, USB connectivity for a laptop, effects send/receive jacks, two isolated and balanced XLR outs. But it can also function as an interface for recording through the USB port. My Korg Kronos is not connected analog with the Radial Key Largo. It ist connected digital via USB to the MBP. The USB Port sends audio and midi signals. In the MBP the digital Audio signal is processed with GP 4 and my VSTs and then this processed signal goes out of the MBP with a digital connection to the Radial Key Largo.

There is no latency with VSTs, only with sounds of the Korg Kronos. When I reduce the sample buffer in GP 4, the latency is nearly not noticeable. But the CPU is stressed up to 70%.

I’m forced to use the digital output of the Korg Kronos by the sound engineer. He is satisfied with my digital sound. When I use the analog connection it is too noisy in his ears…

Again, I ask……are you hearing glitches or other unwanted noises?

Yes when I play for example a palm glissando with the Hammond B-3X VST (buffer size 256 samples). With 320 samples it was okay yesterday.

Ah – ok — that IK hammond is supposedly very good but absurdly expensive in terms of CPU cycles.

But as I said, with my new settings, it is possible to play for me. And I planned anyway to buy a new MBP M1pro in 2022.

Since audio from Kronos is not with a low latency software driver, I would use only analog connection between Kronos and Key Largo. I suspect that your problems are coming also from that.

Next Wednesday I will try one last time to convince or persuade the sound guy. Unfortunately I have no support from the other bandmates, they cannot understand my problem.

All other keyboard players are in full sympathy with you on that one!

4 Likes

As long as they don’t advise you to go and talk to the keyboardist of another band who never has problems because he plays on an e-piano that has built-in speakers… (my own experience! :confused:)

I would like to come back to the Key-Largo subject, I’m considering buying it.
Does anyone have any references on the latency of this product for Live use ?
I watched a lot of videos, read tests… and nobody talks about the latency of this device! It seems so important to me.

I would like to lighten my setup and leave my RME Fireface 802 at home. I am therefore looking for a quality product offering a latency worthy of my RME with my Macbook Pro M1Max, 96kHz - 96 samples => 1.8ms latency.

Thanks

With my MacBook Pro M1 Max 64 GB my earlier latency problems are gone.

In GigPerformer I use the Audio-Interface of the Kronos as Audio In and the Radial KeyLargo as Audio out. I’m only using the digital output of the Korg Kronos, because for our sound engineer the analog connection between Korg Kronos and Radial Key Largo is too noisy.

I bought the Key Largo after this german review:

With Google I have translatet the result, what Germans call Fazit, to English:

Conclusion:
Obviously people were involved in the development here who had experience from live operation . The Key Largo is the perfect solution for small and manageable setups, with which you can create a submix for up to three keyboards or other sound sources with a line signal plus VSTis from the computer. In addition, it also replaces a separate audio and midi interface. With the audio interface, I get a latency of 6-10 ms in Mainstage with the buffer size I usually use of 64 samples, which I get along with very well. Up to 3ms are possible but normally not necessary.

I hope that helps, I’m satisfied with my lineup.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply :wink: