Latency of plugins in bypass?

All it does is bypass the plugin. The audio signal still comes through un-altered. So, depending on the volume setting of those channels, you would hear some natural phasing.

I don’t know about how latency compensation works, but GP correctly handles this when the plugin is active. In my screenshot above (if MicroPitch was active in the parallel path) GP correctly deals with the additional 8 samples latency introduced by MicroPitch, so when the wet and dry are combined in the GP mixer everything is perfectly in phase. MicroPitch might be a bad example plugin when talking about phase - but same thing with EchoBoy.

However when it’s bypassed, it’s as if GP is then ignoring this 8 sample latency (or not expecting latency) and you get the phasing.

that is what I did as a workaround. It still means if I have a chain of additional effects, even when they are off, it induces additional latency. So I am reworking my patches to be all parallel with separate mixer channels where I create group widgets to switch the mixer and the plugin bypass simulatenously.

1 Like

Hello, I was searching for this issue and found this topic. This is exactly what is currently bugging me.
However it’s almost four years later and the issue is still there. I am using GP 3 but from what I’ve read it’s the same with GP 4.

My setup is made of a vocal chain and an instrument chain, both of them outputting into a single plugin at some point. The problem is that the latency introduced by the vocal chain is also added globally, no matter the bypass states.

That’s where is becomes very strange. When I bypass effects from the vocal chain, the latency of the signal that goes through these same plugins actually decreases, which is expected, but then why does it keep taking effect on every other signals that are interconnected to the latter by a mixer or other endpoints? This is not normal.

If the latency is removed when a plugin is bypassed, then it should also be removed everywhere else! That’s the thing I fail to comprehend, and indeed as you can see it causes an issue when working with signals that need to remain aligned (drums, etc).

Other DAWs don’t do that. Instead the latency is added globally when it is in playback mode and in which case it is properly adjusted so that everything stays in sync (hopefully it does…), and in record/monitor mode each track has its own latency, which is expected in a live monitoring scenario. In the latter case, all the tracks are still ultimately routed to the same output, yet it doesn’t produce the issue exposed above.

I am aware that in the case of GP it is not possible to have independent latency for each path because it is made with free routing in mind. But no one can disagree about the fact that the global latency/bypass thing is not how it should work. That’s completely wild. I bypass all the plugins that add latency on my vocal path which makes my voice latency-free, but the piano is still getting a good 50-100ms of delay. If I disconnect the vocal path from the piano and leave only the piano, then it becomes latency-free!? Sorry, I feel like I’m repeating the same thing over and over again but that’s definitely not how it should work.
The global latency should adjust accordingly.

Just for curiosity: can you provide a (reduced) gigfile or at least some screenshots of the wiring view that show your problem?

Which plugins do you use, that generate 50-100ms, or do you mean the chain/cascade of your plugins generate 50-100ms?

Except from “it doesn’t work as expected” and that you use an old Version of GP (not even which exact version of V3), there is no detailed information which could help users to help you with your issue…
Please try to follow these guidelines:
How to report issues and ask properly for help? - General discussion about Gig Performer - Gig Performer Community
I guess that would make it a lot easier for this community to provide any help.
Thanks.

2 Likes