Kontakt hanging Gig Performer whilst scanning for Kontakt sample content

On your backup machine, is every single file in exactly the same folder location? In other words, are the names and locations of every file and folder identical on the backup machine identical to the main machine?

I don’t know how you’ve come to that conclusion.
I have my show programmed in GP and MS - I’ll use whatever is the most reliable when we get to production rehearsals.
I copied my GP file, and the MS file from the main machine to my backup.
GP freezes when scanning for Kontakt samples. MS scans once and loads them all.
All from the same folder, copied from my main machine - with the patches and samples

I’ll try re-inserting all 31 instances of Kontakt as suggested above and see if I can make it load

Also, what happens if you use VST instead of AU….

I don’t use VST’s = Songs are started in Logic which uses AU’s.
My GP file uses AU’s
My MS file (0bviously) uses AU’s
Why would VST’s be any different?

Because there’s no magic — if everything works on your main machine, then something is different about how your backup machine is set up, or how files were copied from one machine to the other, etc. Gig Performer has zero control over what a plugin does — if a plugin has grief for any reason and holds things up, that’s on the plugin.

I don’t know what information MS saves for Kontakt plugins – Gig Performer captures the entire “state” of the plugin when you save a gigfile and restores that state when you reload a gigfile. I’ve seen Kontakt seriously misbehave when there are differences in the environment - I know you said the samples are in the same folder but is the path from the root to that folder exactly the same on both machines? And are you using exactly the same version of Kontakt?

VSTs are used far more widely and tend to get tested on way more DAWs than AU plugins. I’ve generally found VSTs to be far more reliable but that’s anecdotal on my side of course. My backup touring machine is identical to my main machine as far as file locations, plugin versions and so on are concerned.

I appreciate the help and suport, but I have a serious deadline looming and have to have a working solution.
The difference between my main and backupc computer is: Main is a Mac Pro with 2 internal drives - the Kontakt samples are on drive 2.
My backup machine is a laptop with one drive. The samples are on the internal drive
The samples and instruments are in one folder, as stated. This folder is in the same corresponding location on each machine.
Kontakt is exactly the same version.
The only difference is - In my backup machine, Kontakt (like MS) has to ask for the files location, so I point it to the folder containgin the samples and instruments. Cue GP freezing.

No, it’s not – as you yourself noted, on one of them, the samples are on a different drive. That explicitly means that the files are not at the same location. The paths will be different (at the root)

For example, if your samples are in a top level folder called *foo then on one machine the actual path will be /Volumes/Macintosh HD/foo but on the other machine they will (probably) be /Volumes/HD2/foo

Kontakt is probably trying to refer to a non-existent file path and it’s hanging trying to find it.

You should probably use symbolic links so that the paths (as seen by Kontakt having been fed state from Gig Performer) are identical on both machines

OK, fine.
Thanks for your help

Sounds similar to what’s described here. Sadly no real solution listed.

Yeah, that sounds like exactly the same problem.

Another one on MacOS with no solution (sorry I know that’s not helpful!)

I’m running into a similar problem; due to a hardware failure, I’ve had to move my files to a new location, and they work just fine in standalone instances of Kontakt (6.6.0)… Except for my existing project files on Logic (10.6.3). When I try to open an instance, I get the content missing prompt. Now, I can move around the window, and I know where the missing files are, but as soon as I point to the right folder (or even click “Ignore this time”), within a few seconds Logic becomes unresponsive and I end up staring at the rainbow wheel until I force quit the application. Since moving the files to the old location is no longer an option (due to the hardware failure), are there ways I can deal with this problem? It’s worth noting that this seems to be a project specific problem; a new Logic project has no problems opening an instance, and doesn’t have the same errors

HI, quick update, Kontakt is now updated to 6.7.1 and this has cured (for me) the problem of freezing GP4 when pointing Kontakt to the sample locations, when transferring files from one machine to another.

2 Likes