Keyboard Players: Piano Stool or Throne?

Hello fellow keyboardists,

I’ve been playing on a piano stool for decades, but I’m finding it more and more difficult, painful if you will, to use it for longer (3 hour) gigs. Just thought I’d ask the community what they have found to be more comfortable for live gigs - a different keyboard stool, or something more like a drum throne?

@dhj is that a throne you’re using in this video (still shot)? Do you use something similar for live gigs?

Yep, I take that throne everywhere - it’s much better than the basic ones. Very comfortable.

https://porkpiedrums.com/products/thrones/

1 Like

@dhj, you are amazing! Do you get forum messages on your watch or something? You reply soooooooooo fast! Love this product and this community!

Edit follow-up question: If I may ask, is it round type, or saddle?

1 Like

I live in front of a computer - sigh

It’s round

3 Likes

Normaly I’m standing… but if use something so sit, it’s a drum throne.

2 Likes

I have a couple of these: Roc-N-Soc Nitro Gas Drum Throne - Black | Sweetwater

I have the backrest attachment on both of mine, which for me helps. Backless, I always end up with lower back fatigue within an hour or two. Same thing when sitting on a piano bench. Must be part of getting old.

I have the seat shape with the leg cutouts because my round-top thrones tend to give me thigh discomfort at the seat edge after a while. People argue both sides on that.

I use that as well, with a backrest attachment.

Inspired by Flake, the Rammstein keyboardist who used to walk on a treadmill on stage, I tried out this one.

But it didn’t turn out to be practical …

7 Likes

Rock ‘n’ sock throne. The non-pnumatic kind so I can lock the height but still have swivel. Helps keep the ergonomics consistant when I move my setup.

I prefer the backless but as a long time drummer i’ve never used anything but a backless throne.

@Angel, lol, that’s hilarious! :rofl: :joy: :rofl:

1 Like

Thanks for the responses, everyone. @Vindes @edm11 @brandon, do any of you use the extended version of the Roc-N-Soc?

@dhj, I really like the pork pie throne, but I cannot find any vendor who has the saddle type for sale, only the round.

Hehe… this reminds me of earlier times when we started giggin with my very first band and i used two ironing boards as keyboard stands:
homz-iron-board

Whenever we showed up at our venue i had the laughter on my side. :smiley:

5 Likes

You were pumping iron as I was pumping irony.

[Bonus points will be awarded to anyone who knows which song that lyric comes from without Goggling it. :guitar:]

1 Like

Heaven knows!

3 Likes

Ding ding ding! We have a winner! 1000 bonus points will be added to your virtual GP Executive Platinum frequent user account!

For those unfamiliar with the song, it’s a good one from Robert Plant’s “Now and Zen” album.

4 Likes

That is exactly what I use when I sit. But I play bass.

I don’t know where to ask the question, so I try it here:

Does someone know this keyboard stand?

After 10 seconds.

Looks like a version of this?
https://www.bjmusiconline.com/Catalog/ProductDetail?itemId=GKS-DBKT88

Maybe this:

1 Like

Thank you, I have never seen this stand. But List Price: $1,700.95 ? Is it made of pure gold? :wink: