Ipad as a MIDI controller - into W10 PC

I did look at solutions to this problem, but for me its gets more complicated. I am travelling on a motorcycle now for 7 months going around the world, and currently am in Guatemala. Starting to really work on my music system. Due to weight, space I had to drop a bunch of gear off the bike. And getting special cables or just about anything shipped to me is a problem, as I’m a moving target. SO -

I have my iPad. I want to use it as a keyboard, and a controller for looping. I have a USB C cable from one to the other. I have rtpMIDI installed, but no wifi router. And have just started looking into bluetooth MIDI which appears to be unstable according to posts here. Gig Performer is PART of a solution as I’m writing music using both Reaper and FL Studio 21. Using a computer keyboard as a MIDI input device is better than nothing, but difficult. It took all day to record violin parts.

Any help sincerely appreciated, taking my limitations into consideration. Can rtpMIDI work over public WIFI - like in a hotel? I just don’t know enough.

Thanks you, and glad to be back here.

1 Like

On what system are you running Gig Performer?

You could use you PC as a mobile hotspot and use rtp MIDI with it:

PC - its ipad to PC - I was able to connect the iPad up to the PC via bluetooth! Hope maybe?

Trying this shortly - thank you.

Can you get a wired connection working? iOS apps like TouchOSC can create its own midi port on your PC, which is then used in GP. For this, it has a second install of TouchOSC Bridge:

https://hexler.net/touchosc#resources

One of the widget types you can use in TouchOSC is a keyboard.

3 Likes

TouchOSC looks cool. Taking a deeper look.

I just bought TouchOSC - it includes a program called TouchOSC Bridge. I have both installed and this SHOULD allow for MIDI over USB, although I’m not sure how to get this working yet. Just getting started. I know it has something to do with iTunes, but not sure what. Thanks. This software looks awesome. Can hardly wait to get it working.

Check out this: [blog] Working with TouchOSC and Gig Performer

Indeed, I didn’t know that. I am wondering if it is MIDI USB class compliant or if it only works with TouchOSC.

A message came up while installing Bridge that said something like, “You must have iTunes installed to allow MIDI over USB”. So far, that’s all I know. Working on it soon.

I didn’t see mention of iTunes anywhere. Maybe see how you go without that.

https://hexler.net/touchosc/manual/getting-started-midi

As I recall it requires Bonjour which is installed with iTunes but it is installed already on many Windows machines.

1 Like

Its working. Well at least MIDI is working. iPad MIDI over USB C cable to a PC only requires installing iTunes (yuk) then syncing once. That’s it. TouchOSC is amazing. I have a lot to learn so its time to RTFM. A real game changer for writing, live looping control, and everything. Can make my own custom interfaces for JUST my gear. And this will make working with FL Studio WAY quicker and easier when I get proficient using it.

1 Like

RTFM = Read the famous manual

Well…

Is it working with any iPad MIDI application or only with TouchOSC?