Intermittent Crash Loading Gig Rack Spaces

I know you were asked about Patch Persist. I just wondered whether he meant predictive loading in terms of managing a large number of rackspaces and got the terms mixed up.

My setlist is not even half as big as Alan’s, I only have some 40 racks. I have had some issues with patch persist (@dhj: certainly not with predictive loading, that is a great function!) and changing racks.

I was wondering if patch persist would work when jumping from, say, rack 14 to 233, to 5, to 449, instead of sequentially from 1-2-3,etc. I can understand the misapprehension with predictive loading, for I would think PL would assist the PP, but I might very well be wrong there.

Ah - if you’re having issues with Predictive Loading, it would be useful to describe them here so that others can respond. Generally PL works very well but if a plugin doesn’t totally implement the VST specification properly (not mentioning names but some don’t!) then there could be issues.

Predictive loading is really intended to be used when you’re stepping through songs (or rackspaces) sequentially (i.e. following a setlist) so that the next few rackspaces or songs that you need are instantly available even if you don’t have huge amounts of RAM. While patch persist should still work, if you jump “far away”, your wait until the new rackspace is ready will be a function of whatever loading time is required for the plugins in the new rack

Yes - absolutely. It should work and keep your playing rackspace loaded. It’s easy to try it actually.

I redesigned all my rack spaces that had previously used widget buttons to issue Program Change events. Separate rack spaces and variations now.
I figured out how to assign knobs for navigating rack spaces and variations.
So far no crashes and the navigation is super fast.
Hoping it all continues to be stable. The VB3-II is the only plugin that had crashed when its rack space also contained button widgets to issue program change events.
The load time is increased just a bit having more rack spaces, but it is not significant.

2 Likes

Yes - this will make your rig MUCH more stable. Sending program changes into plugins can often result in issues as not all plugins handle this properly. You could experience delays, instabilities, and other issues as you already found out.

Goo move to make it all separate rackspaces and variations.