Input type and gain control

I was wondering, why do some plugins only have one input for VST version but two inputs for the AU version and visa versa?

Is there a stereo gain control or do you use a 4 channel mixer for controlling the gain of stereo signals?

Thanks for any help.

If you right click on the VST there should be a menu option to change its input configuration. I forget exactly what it’s called, but it should be easy to figure out.

I’m not sure why some default to mono.

It is called “Bus Layout”

Thanks @Vindes and @pianopaul very much appreciated. I have almost all my plugins in both AU and VST from (some VST3), does it matter if I mix the formats or am I better off sticking with just VST or just AU?

I sometimes mix and until now I faced no issue.
But somehow sometimes the AU version works better than VST
Example: New Hammond Plugin from IK Multimedia, VST Version is buggy, AU is not.
Omnisphere has issues with predictive load and VST version, AU version does not.

Thanks, that’s good to know. If I want to control the output of a stereo FX chain is the only way to do that using a 4 channel mixer?

Why use a 4 channel mixer, you can also use a normal “Gain and Balance” Control.

Only because the gain say “Gain (mono)”. I need stereo.

There is a Stereo Gain control, a Mono gain control and a Mono to Stereo gain control in addition to the various mixer configurations.

This is all I have in the list. Which one of these is stereo? The Gain and Balance Control perhaps?

Yes - it used to be the only one so we didn’t think of calling it Stereo. We added those mono ones later.

I still find it more useful to use the audio mixer plugins though (those came later as well) — easier to deal with adding extra plugins later and you get solo/mute functionality as well.

Yes - we thought that the “…Balance” bit gave it away :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes you’re right I should have realised. Thanks very much for your help!

2 Likes