In Ear Wireless

Helpful perspective is that sound travels about 1 foot per millisecond.

It can seem hard to believe, but the difference between playing at 16 samples vs. 128 samples is equivalent to moving 2 feet further from your speaker cabinet (@48KHz sample rate).

So, yeah, I’m with you as it relates to guitar playing. Digital wireless guitar transmitter through mixer back to digital wireless IEM is equivalent to standing about 8 feet from your amp. On a big stage you’ll actually hear the sound faster through the “slow” digital wireless system than if you were plugged in and listening to your cabinets. Analog wireless makes it like your head is 2 feet from your cabinet.

Yet my brother insists I get out a cable when he’s here so he can plug in. For most people in most cases with decent equipment, latency is mostly an imaginary problem. (That’s a huge change from the 90s.)

1 Like

I’m using the Shure P9HW wired body pack with the Shure SE 535 ear buds. The 535s have amazing audio quality. Being a keyboardist, I decided that I didn’t need a wireless system. The P9HW is a full featured body pack.

Our setup is pretty much what @dhj has.
X32 at FOH.
We then use the P16’s on stage. Everyone has one.
Theres 8 of us on stage…and we end up with…
Keys/Guitar + vox/Bass/eDrums+vox/Trumpet/Sax/2xVox/Talkback/2xCrowd = 13 channels
Everything is straight to desk. No backline, no amps.
its real quite on stage :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
We set the P16s sends to be pre eq and effects. We also have a channel that is a talkback from desk. The drummers mic does not go to the main PA. Its only so we hear the count ins.
Crowd mics are just so we can hear people who come up to the stage to talk.

Everyone puts IEM’s into the P16s except me and the horners.
Our P16 outs go to analog radio transmitters. The thomann system.
This allows us to be totally free on stage.

Its really good, never noticed the latency ever, so must be little enough.
I use Shure 425’s… (I have 215’s as a back up too)
Both are real good, the 425s have a better bass on them.

If you’ve never tried them, you really should.
Initially my bass player and me hated it. But, a few gigs later, we’d not go back.

1 Like

Yes! What I was thinking. In ear monitor is 2 feet closer to your ear so that shaves off 2ms from any processing time.

Did you finally buy it and are you happy?

Yea, I bought it and I like it very much.

What in-ear do you use with it? Did you also consider the PSM300 or PSM1000?

Yes psm300 was an alternative, but I did not buy it - because it was too cheap :wink:

And psm1000 is the same as 2xpsm900.
And I know who I am ……

My in ears are from hearsafe,
HS 15-7

Then you should have bought a PSM1000. The PSM1000 is supposed to have diversity, probably why it has two antennas. However it is perhaps necessary if you don’t have many many units un the same venue. Then comes the question of choosing the frequency… no idea what to choose :face_with_monocle:

@pianopaul I’m curious: why Shure and not Sennheiser IEM G4?

I was asking a professional service guy who is working for Howard Carpendale and he recommended Sure.

Ok, next time ask the sound guys of Helene F. :grin:

To be serious, the ground noise on Sennheiser is louder than on Sure

Well, I think these kind of “FM radios” all have some background noise. And, more important, they all colour the audio slightly by their companding system.

I personally use an older SR 2000 / G3 IEM EK with an IEM 100 pro earphone. For me the slightly higher noise is OK, and better than forgetting to unplug when I leave my rig :blush:

@pianopaul do you do some kind of headphone correction on your in-ear?

For other in-ears users do you use closed or open in-ears? I suppose, for closed in-ear it becomes important to have an additional microphone to ear the crowd?

I use a pair of additional mics to pick up some surround, but basically you can get most out of the existing signals on the mixing console.

1 Like

No I do not, but al little eq from my RME UFX II
And. It’s important a limiter for my in ear,

When I make my sounds I am using Sonarworks headphone correction or Steven Slate VSX,

And like the name says, an open in ear cannot exist ……
I am using Hearsafe HS 15-7

And this doesn’t work for your Hearsafe in-ear?

Well, I don’t know as I am starting to look at his market, but I think there are in-ears with external microphones for noise cancellation with options to let part of the external sound come in (e.g. Apple AirPods Pro)…

I know Bose noise cancelling.
The do no work Live when tha PA is loud.
The produce distortion when such loud levels are on stage. I

Sonarworks headphone correct ection only works with traditional headphone they calibrate.
Right now they do not support in ears like for example ultimate ears.