Hypersonic 2

Hi all,

are there any experiences with Steinberg Hypersonic 2, jBridged to 64bit, for use in GP3 or GP4?

I’m still in transit from my old Win7 Laptop with Brainspawn Forte to my new system, Win10 with GP4. Although I own Omnisphere 2, NI Kontakt 6 and HalionSonic 3 I find it difficult to replace some iconic Hypersonic 2 sounds. It was my plan to get rid of software from the archaic abyss of 2005, but using HS2 in GP4 again would just save so much time now …

Thanks,
Angel

You could resample the sounds using Sample Robot or BLISS.
I do that resample with Sounds using BLISS, export it to Soudnfont and load that as an instrument in Kontakt.
Works perfect.

1 Like

Yes, I have done this with a few simple sounds. Lot of work, still.
I have so many complex combinations in Hypersonic, with layers and splits, which would be time-consuming to sample part by part. And some sounds can’t be sampled easily, with portamento/glide in mono mode, release trigger samples, round-robin articulations and so on.
I have ported a bunch of sounds from Hypersonic to Omnisphere and HalionSonic already, but I’m running out of time.
After a first test, Hypersonic 2 seems to run fine with jBridge in GP4.

1 Like

jBridge seems to be abandonware :thinking:
The last version is 1.75, which is around for years.

Some alternatives:

Disclaimer, use at your own risk: Gig Performer | How to load 32-bit plugins with Gig Performer on Mac and Windows

2 Likes

I’ve always run Hypersonic 2 jBridged ever since GP1. I haven’t done any extensive work with it, but it seems to run just fine in GP. Hyper Canvas by Roland is a different story. It caused crashes more than a few times. So it just sits in my “test” machine.

2 Likes

@Angel ,

I remember you well from the old Forte days. I certainly understand your investment and desire to use Hypersonic 2 moving forward. I’ve been there with other plugins (B4II, Pro-V3, Synth1) only to have my expectations and dreams dashed to the wind. While this may serve you okay now, Steinberg has chosen not to move this VST into the modern world of 64 bit computing. At some point, you will no longer have a choice but to find a way to move beyond this plugin unless you plan to spend money supporting older technology on older operating systems and hardware moving forward.

I would highly recommend that you start looking into alternatives now from companies that will support you moving forward. If you want to discuss further, you can certainly use this community forum and/or PM me. I remember you helping me out in the past and I would certainly return the favor with some recommendations. This community is stronger than the Forte community at its height. They will help you move forward if you make the choice.

Good seeing you here, brother!

X

1 Like

@xpansion Dear Jim,

Thank you for your kind words, glad to meet you here, too!

It happens now for the second time: I’m moving to a new system and still I’m carrying that old Hypersonic bridegd in jBridge to 64bit with me. 7 years ago when I switched to a 64bit version of Forte, and now when switching to Gig Performer. Each time I wanted to get rid of Hypersonic. Spent hours in replacing Hypersonic sounds with Omnisphere 2 and Halion Sonic 3. Should be a breeze, shouldn’t it? No! Some Hypersonic 2 sounds, especially some synths sounds and arpeggios, with their modulations and articulations, are programmed so well in that old beast. They were done mostly by Peter Gorges, one of the legends of synth sound design from Germany.

Next I was running out of time because of upcoming rehersals and shows, and the only solution to mangage it in time was to use my old sounds in Hypersonic 2 again and again!! For my cover band and my own vanity a 1:1 reproduction of some special and iconic sounds is important, I have them in Hypersonic since years, only.

The good: Hypersonic 2 with jBridge to 64bit works without any problems, tested since months, now. And Steinberg still supported me at some license issues!

The bad: I know the next time I make a system switch then I have to get rid of Hypersonic 2. And NI B4. The next time, for sure, finally …

And yeah, the GP community and the responsivity of the GP developers is stellar!

Best,
Angel

4 Likes

@Angel ,

I hated having to let go of both B4 II and Pro-53 about 5 years ago when I moved to Forte 64-bit. Actually, the one I miss most is Synth 1, but alas, it crashes GP every time… All that said, I never personally used Hypersonic II live, however I do remember a number of presets that sounded AWESOME in a DAW when I used them.

If only they (Steinberg) would move Hypersonic II forward…

X