Huge usable latency with RME interface

I’m using Gig Performer with premium audio interface - RME Digiface USB. In every daw I’m working with I’m using 64 samples of latency. I have latest CPU - Intel i7 12700. In Gig Performer lowest usable is 512 samples of latency. Why?

Something’s misconfigured with your Windows audio device configuration such it is not reporting any buffer sizes lower than 512 to Gig Performer. Gig Performer can certainly work at much lower buffer sizes. For example, even on Windows 10 running on a VM with no external audio interface, I can go down to 128

screenshot_5843

and on a machine with a MOTU M4 (a very inexpensive audio interface), buffer sizes as low as 16 are visible (not that you’d get very far at that buffer size :slight_smile: )

screenshot_5842

@romeczek

Can you please post the screenshot of your Audio Options window? Make sure that your audio device type is set to ASIO and that you have updated your audio driver to the latest version.

My device is reporting lower latencies but those are unusable. :slight_smile:

I never expierenced such behaviour on other apps.

I suppose it is the configuration which is a bit difficult. I experienced this difficulties with my RME UCX too. If I remember well, I had to modify the buffer size first in the RME driver then restart GP and modify the GP buffer settings again… well, something like that…

2 Likes

Thank you David-san!
It worked!

Do you have the actual details of what you had to do? Might be helpful for others?

Unfortunately not, I don’t remember the details and I will have to refresh my memory first…

Maybe @romeczek can tell us - since it sounds like whatever he did worked.

1 Like

On mine (Windows 11, UCX II) when I open audio settings in GP 4 it shows the current buffer size but does not allow me to change the buffer size directly in GP.

I have to click the “Control panel” box underneath it, which brings up the RME dialog box, and I can set it there.

After changing it in the RME dialog the Audio buffer size box in GP shows nothing and I have to hit a red “Apply Settings” option that now appears underneath the “Control panel” button I mentioned above.

The process is about the same in Ableton Live and Studio One. Those also require bringing up the RME control panel and changing it there. The only difference is those don’t have the “Apply Settings” step.

The UCX II uses a different RME driver than the Digiface, but I suspect this part works the same.

I do the same, but if I remember well, the first time the config is changed, the sound is kind of weird, and I need to restart GP to get the a correct sound.

2 Likes

I just bought a RME Babyface Pro and I have to do the same procedure on my Windows PC to change the buffer size directly in GP4 with the new Audio Interface. No such problems with my MacBookPro.