HP Envy x360 problems

Hello everybody, I was wondering if anybody is using an HP Envy x360 with the Yamaha USB audio driver. It used to work fine on my surface Pro 9 but all I get is crackles and pops and midi stuck notes. Anybody have any experience with this laptop?

From your computer’s specifications, I can see that the processor is an i7-1250U: its Clock Speed is 1.1 GHz, which too low for running audio real-time applications.
What’s more, it’s a U-type processor, which specializes in saving energy but to the detriment of computing performance.

By way of comparison, I have a PC equipped with a 12th-generation i7 processor like yours, but of H type, geared towards high performance. There are HX above it, offering even higher performance.

Passmark (processor performance test site) gives a CPU Mark Rating of 23055 for mine, compared with 12179 for your processor (-47,2%) although both processors are 12th-generation i7.

There are other important factors to consider, such as the power management setting in the bios, which may be throttled for your PC, and full Windows optimization, which is very important too.

I have 2 partitions on my PC with Windows on each:

• a non-optimized partition which I use for Gig Performer files creation and everything else (office, audio, video, etc).
  • the second partition is dedicated solely to GP and is fully optimized. I use it for live performance.

As a result, I can easily notice that I often have crackling in the audio and sometimes freezing in the first partition, whereas this never happens in the second.

Apply the tips in this guide if you haven’t already, and maybe it will make things better.

HOW TO OPTIMIZE YOUR PC FOR THE STAGE

6 Likes

That’s a real A/B test! :slight_smile: