How to route several output with RME Babyface ? Preamp?

Your question is a bit too open…

The mixing table needs your separated instruments outputs, how you can send them to the mixing table depends from your audio interface and from the mixing table (will it always be the same? which model is it?). If you want to be as generic as possible, your BabyFace and a 200€ ADA 8200 (or any more expensive similar hardware) is appropriate.

1 Like

I have seen mixers with ADAT in and out, but it’s not very common. I think if you tried to go this route you would be better off just replacing the Babyface with a different audio interface that had more outs.

Then the question is how many ins and outs do you need, what features do you want, does physical size/shape matter, and how much do you want to spend. I have seven audio interfaces that get used on a daily basis (including my kid’s computers and my work computer) and they’re all different. They’re all good and I’d buy all of them again, but they’re all different because each of them are used differently.

2 Likes

Thank you very much guys !!!
Behringer this will be… :))

I’m sorry, I have a new question…shoud I buy on or two ADAT cables ?
Thank you

For a ADA 8200 you will need two TOSLINK cables if you want to use the inputs and ouputs and only one if you need only the ouputs.

1 Like

Thank you

1 Like

Hello @David-san ,
I need your help regarding the configuration of my next setup with my Baby Face Pro and the Behringer ADA8200.
I must buy 2 TOSLINK Cables, do I need to buy a coaxial cable ?

I just want to use the outputs of my ADA8200 to route different stuff but I read this on the internet :
“By design, the analog inputs and outputs on the [ADA8200] are not connected. The analog inputs are routed to the ADAT output, and the ADAT input is routed to the analog outputs.”

What does this mean ? Can you route easily thanks to TotalMix different stuff ? How ?

Sorry for all these questions. If I can give you 20$ for an explanation you deserve it !!!

Thanks anyway :)))

No, because you can sync using ADAT. For all the other questions you can call me… for free! (I will send you my private coordinates by PM).

3 Likes

I’m not going to match David-san’s offer to call me, but I’ll give my answers to your questions:

• you will want two TOSLINK cables
  • you will be able to route your audio using TotalMix FX or entirely inside GigPerformer.

I believe (from his prior posts) David-san does a fair bit of stuff inside TotalMix FX. I do not. There is no “best” way, just whatever way works for you.

It will become pretty intuitive once you get to play around with TotalMix and the ADA8200 for a little while, but it can be confusing to try to explain.

When you look at the “Autio In” and “Audio Out” blocks in Gig Performer there will one input for every input on the interface (including the BabyFace inputs and your ADAT inputs) and one output for every output. By default, if you route a VST (Rhodes, for example) to ADAT 1&2 on the Audio Out block in GIg Performer it will play on that physical port on the BabyFace/ADA8200. But if you choose, you can override that in TotalMix FX and route things however you want.

Sometimes I do some routing inside TotalMix FX, like if I want to set up separate monitor mixes for different musicians, but most of the time I do it all in GigPerformer.

2 Likes