How to route several output with RME Babyface ? Preamp?

Hello,

I’m not sure the title of my topic is relevant.

I’m about to buy a used scarlett octopre (in addition to my RME BabyFace) in order to be able to route my different softwares to different outputs.
I use mostly software, for my rhodes, wurly, and also for my synth sounds etc.
The fact is that with the RME there is only one stereo out. So for example during a show, the sound guys could only avec everything in one stereo channel…not very convenient !
I thought that I could buy a preamp and with ADAT route my synths with seperate channels…

Is this the most economical and the most logical way to do it or am I wrong ? :slight_smile:

Thank you !!

When you are on Mac you can create an aggregate audio device.
So in Gig Performer you can use both Interfaces.
Or you use a 2nd instance of Gig Performer and in each instance you can use a different Audio Device.
This works on Mac and Windows.

So you are using external gear?

1 Like

I use a prophet rev2, it’s going into the channel 3/4 (line instruments) of my RME so that I can add software effects.
I then need it to be routed differently than my Keyscape Rhodes for example, so that the sound guy can do a good front of the audience mix.

Why is it needed that the FOH can control the sound and volume of your different keyboards?

Actually, my own system is set up that way - I send 8 channels (depending on the band either 4 stereo pairs or three stereo pairs + sub (for Taurus bass, etc)) so that FOH can balance my individual sounds.

While I normally have everything pretty much balanced, depending on the room and acoustics and the particular sound, FOH wants to be able to adjust my individual sounds to fit.

1 Like

Understand, but what to do when you send Piano on Channel 1 and 2 and in another song
send A lead synth on Channel 1 and 2 ?
This needs that different kind of sounds have their dedicated channel, right?

As much as possible, I don’t do it that way. Obviously it depends on the band but in my Steely Dan band (say), acoustic piano will always be on 1-2, Rhodes or Wurly on 3-4, Hammond on 5-6 and synth/solo stuff on 7-8

In fact there are even cases where I will have different parts of the same instrument going out on different channels. For example, in Pretzel Logic and Black Friday, the left hand Rhodes bass stuff gets treated differently (separate instance through a phaser with high pass EQ) and goes out on 1-2 while the right hand part (Rhodes with tremolo) goes out on 3-4

1 Like

Understand, but that requires that the FOH guy exactly knows your setup and sounds, right?

If you’re organized I think you can give the details to the guy :slight_smile:

Nevertheless…shoud I bought the Scarlett preamp ? Thank you !!

Yes. For the most part we use the same FOH - he travels with us when available and in fact he guided me in setting up the configuration I use.

For others, they get a set list with information about what I’m sending in individual songs. For the most part, they can just leave everything at 0dB (which they do) but better FOH people when available will take advantage of the info to improve things.

When you always use the same type of sound, then it is ok.
But when the sounds differ, then it is difficult for the FOH quickly adjust levels.

Example: In one song your lead sound comes from channel 1 and 2
and in another song it comes from channel 3 and 4

Now each time the sound is not loud enough, your FOH will raise the volume…

At the end all channels are too loud ?

The FOH has to lower the volume at the end of the song ?

Sounds complicated.

You can extend your Babyface to height more inputs and height more outputs using this:

BEHRINGER ULTRAGAIN DIGITAL ADA8200

The advantage is that you can go on controlling everything with RME TotalMix and it is not that expensive…

2 Likes

In my new setup I have the option to send my own instruments mix to separate channels such that a FOH guy could simply start with my mix by keeping all my instrument faders at 0dB and only change the volume if necessary. But I can also provide the FOH guy with separate « unmixed » instruments at regular audio level.

1 Like

Thank you ! The fact is that a guy is selling the Scarlett octopre for 300€ !
I think it’s better quality wise don’t you think ? I should do be stages soon…hopefully :joy:

Oh yes, sorry, I thought you were considering another audio interface. I just checked the Octopre specs and noticed it is basically the same kind of device that what I proposed, but more expensive, so hopefully better. I hope… :wink:

1 Like

I hope too !!! Thanks :slight_smile:

Take care of the quality of the TOSLINK cables you buy. I sent back the pro snake ones from Thoman (too thin) and finally went for those:

1 Like

How thick is light? (Enquiring minds want to know)

3 Likes

I believe the Octo Pre does not have additional outputs that you can control. I’ve not used an Octo Pre, but I do have a Scarlet 18i20 and have looked at the Octo Pre in the past.

I believe the Octo Pre is essentially input-only. You will get 8 new inputs, which you can bring into your Baby Face via the ADAT, but the Octo Pre will not give you any new outputs as far as I know. It does provide direct outputs, but as far as I know those are just direct outs tied to the inputs.

The Octo Pre does not have an ADAT in, only ADAT out.

1 Like