How to Record from 2 different GP instances with 1 (button) (Melda MRecorder)

Hi GP gurus,
I have a keyboard setup with 2 GP instances. 1 instance is for playing audio (MP3) for “drone pads” on whatever key I’m performing in. The other instance is my main instrument plugins set up.

Problem:
I would like to record both GP instances simultaneously by hitting just one button on my controller so that my final audio output recorded will contain all audio from both instances. Can this be done (and how)?
(I’ve read various discussions on this site, but have not found one that’s quite the same and most are Windows based)

I’m using Melda MRecorder.

App: GP4
H/w: Novation Launch Kontrol XL, M-Audio Hammer 88

Separate instances of GP are independent, so I would assume you can midi learn the widget controlling record in each of your instances with the same midi controller. Have you given this a go already?

EDIT: Tried it and it works as expected. You just need to add a unique filename prefix in MRecorder for each instance, as you obviously don’t want them trying to write to the same file name.

2 Likes

Thing is, I need them both to be in the same output file. Although they are separate instances, they are both used to perform the same music.
I have the one GP instance as just my drone pads which do nothing but play MP3/Audio in whatever key of my choosing. Then while that’s going on (musically in the background), I’m in the other instance performing.
I need to record BOTH outputs simultaneously and in the same audio output file.

Seems to me as if I need to have something else that can “capture” my audio outputs from my interface in order to record them both together as one.

I was hoping GP4 could somehow “send” output from one instance over to the other.

What Audio Interface are you using?

With the use of a virtual audio cable that is possible.

I am using RME UFX II and it has to option of loopback.
So the physical output can be “back looped” ad input.
This way GP can get the Audio in the normal Input of the Audio Interface and the record this input.

I use the Blackhole virtual audio driver to route audio between apps. Routing from one instance of GP to another will introduce a slight delay (latency) for the one being routed, so you are probably better routing both instances of GP to a third ‘recording’ instance of GP, or route them both to DAW.

There is a GP blog post that discusses routing audio from GP to a DAW.

My Focusrite interface also has ‘loopback’ ports which mean that any app generating audio can be recorded via these ports at the same time e.g. these are ports 5/6 on my interface, so I can route these in GP straight to MRecorder to record everything being output to the interface’s main output.

Finally, having separate files generated by MRecorder is not really a major issue when you can easily combine these in a DAW later. It also gives you the benefit of being asked to adjust the levels/mix things before creating your final mixdown.

2 Likes

thats what i would do also !

also to mention: blackhole, or the likes ( virtual audio cables) are not allways a solution, since one might want to set the audio outputs to its main AI ( with possibly no loopback functionality)

here, Blues cats “Connect” plugin cames to mind.
This IS for any such situation a working solution.
Send both musik making GP instances to another GP instance or to the DAW.

we have a thread here vs. it, btw. (plugin subforum)

Sorry delayed reply. I just use a Focusrite Scarlet 2i2.

I’ll take a look at all the replies and see what can be done and get back to you guys.

Thanks to everyone for their input and options. Here’s what I ended up doing and it works fine with no impact to CPU or latency issues.
Following @rank13, I just used Blackhole and created the multi output (virtual) device and directed the outputs of my GP instances to Ableton.
In Ableton, just received the Audio input and recorded everything on to a track.
Works perfectly!

Thank you all! (@pianopaul, @Funky40 @rank13)

2 Likes