How to make a sandwich

another follow up…

What I wrote Waves tech support:

Gig Performer is a fantastic low latency VST host with a lot of very powerful features and it integrates well with Ableton Live. Many people feel it’s vastly superior to Apple’s Main Stage and there is an API available for it so I would ask that Waves looks into supporting Gig Performer. It’s designed to work with the VST2, VST3 and AU blueprint protocols, it shouldn’t be difficult to support.

What they responded with:

Regarding official support for Gig Performer,
I have forwarded your request to the relevant departments for future consideration.

Let me know if any further information is needed.

4 Likes

I kind of wish I knew they at least got back to Deskew… they never responded to me. I actually filed a complaint with the BBB because of their customer service based on this issue. Very tired of companies not supporting their customer base when it comes to software in particular.

By contrast, I think GP/Deskew does a commendable job (albeit with a healthy amount of crowd sourcing support from it’s user base, myself included) fielding support issues and user base questions and never once have I heard the excuse of ‘the pandemic’ as to why support times are ‘longer than normal’ which seems to be boiler plate excuse #1 to not support software customers these days. So bravo GP.

4 Likes

The Waves people sent me the following message - could you please try these and let me know what happens?

Care to check Waves CLH Hub . MultiModeRack ,Ovox or AbbeyRoad TG mastering? Do they have the same problem? Is it mac , win only?

1 Like

I cleaned up my waves central settings, cleared and reinstalled plugins.

Scheps Omni still takes forever to load.

When you apply a Waves plugin or when you load a gig file that has one, you get a waves spinning icon as your cursor which presumably tells you it’s working on something.

I tested AbbeyRoad TG Live Mastering which also takes a long time to load, not quite as long but longer than any other plugin I have and I don’t think it’s a GUI delay like with IK’s B3-X… it’s a server thing. My prior tests also proved that.

TG Live Mastering is a nice sounding plugin I must say.

Have you tested this with some other DAW?

no. I don’t have Digital Performer installed on the system I use Gig Performer on.

After the cleanup and reinstall described previously in this topic, I can confirm that most of the Waves plugins I have load in approx 1 second including AbbeyRoad TG Live Mastering; Scheps Omni is about 1.5 seconds, and two others are in the 1.5 second range; the longest load time is Waves StudioRack at about 2 seconds, maybe a little more. The foregoing are all the VST3 versions. I haven’t tried the VST versions as I wouldn’t use them unless there was a problem with the VST3 version; all my Waves plugins are now Version 13 and above with the sole exception of the StudioRack plugin which is V12.

I am running W11, my computer specs are listed in another topic in this forum. BTW, the load time is about the same with other DAWs that I have.

I used Waves Central to un-install & re-install everything but I will try un-installing everything including Waves Central and give it another go tonight.

I also uninstalled SoundGrid Studio and the SoundGrid driver to see if that was causing the issue, it wasn’t the case.

FWIW… I am using VST3 v.13 plugins only (I removed StudioRack 12), win 10 pro workstation edition with 4 core Xeon.

I’ve given up on Waves plugins and have stopped using them. There is considerable lag when loading them. Even after load, the first time a rackspace is entered there is about 1-2 second delay before the VST instrument responds. After that it is fine.
Re-scanning plugins is awful when the Waves plugins are found. It halts for about 5 seconds and continues. This happens in Reaper. I suspect it happens in Gig Performer too.

1 Like

I’ve tried a full re and re and still… I get the huge lag. I don’t add Waves to my current Gig file but because they already live in the Gig file it adds about 1.5 minutes to the gig load time while Waves just sits there trying to talk to the mothership.

My Waves plugins load faster than my Melda Productions plugins. Rescanning Waves plugins are no slower and often considerably faster than other plugins I have - in GP, Reaper and Presonus Studio One. A lot of various niggles went away after my latest computer build. I just don’t/no longer have the problems described by others on this topic, so it does not appear to be a universal problem.

In Reaper once the Waves plugins are scanned they are fine. It’s only on a rescan operation that a huge delay occurs and Reaper says the plugins are unresponsive. However, they eventually do scan.

1 Like