How to load multiple midi tracks to 1 song in midi player

Hello All,
I am relatively new to GP and am now trying to increase my usage of it. I am trying to incorporate the midi-player but having an issue. I have a song in Ableton that has 4 separate midi tracks (4 synth/pad and 1 drum). I am trying to export the midi in such a way that all 5 tracks appear under the same ‘song’ in the midi player. I can get separate midi files for each track, but they are loaded in as separate songs:

How to do export/import these so that they appear as 1 song?

Thanks, in advance.

You have to export the 5 Midi Tracks into 1 MIDI File with each track having a different MIDI Channel

…and that is a challenge in Ableton Live.

1 Like

Or you load 4 MIDI File Players and in each you load the corresponding MIDI clip from Ableton.
With the sync enabled in all MIDI File players the start/stop at the same time when you start/stop the global play button.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick responses @pianopaul. Admittedly, I am just starting to get my head around ‘routing’. I use a PC with loopMidi and have done some work with it in Ableton so I agree with your opinion. I will mess around a little bit to see if I can’t get the setup correct in Ableton, but I like there is a backup option as well. Again, thanks.

Just a follow-up to this situation -
As @pianopaul described, Ableton was not very helpful in trying to export multiple tracks with different output channels (it appears Ableton will always assign Ch. 1).

Someone else pointed me towards a different post that refers to the free software MidiEditor. This didn’t help ‘directly’, but here is what I was able to do:

a) I did find a website that can combine all the midi files into 1, but I still have the output channel issue.

https://www.ofoct.com/merge-midi-files

b) I took the ‘combined’ file, loaded it to MidiEditor and I can select all the events for a given track and change the Output-channel for each track.

c) After changing the (5) tracks to point to their own channel, I loaded the file to the GP midi-player, and it appears to come up the way I would expect. I still needed to adjust routing a little bit with different VSTs and the Midi-Constrainer was another helpful find.

So, I think I am on my way, albeit, using the scenic route.

Thanks.

Do you need to do this step? In MFP you can set the channel used for each track.

Hello @rank13. MFP = Music For Programmers?

If so, I’m not familiar with this but can check it out.

Thanks.

@shorttop I think he meant MIDI File Player :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, sorry @shorttop, I meant Midi File Player.

The highlighted numbers 16 and 17 in the documentation is what I’m referring to.

I had started the midi files in Ableton, but I could now use MidiEditor

@rank13 - I think what was tripping me up was a limitation in the plug-in I was using. So, yes, I can just use the routing (and the constrainer) out of the MFP. Thank you.

1 Like