How to go about my hybrid rig

I have been setting up my GP4 on Windows based rig for a few months based around 2 MIDI controllers and pads but recently took a slightly different path. I will now be using one synth (Roland Fantom-07) and one controller (Studiologic SL88 Studio) alongside a pad controller. Diagram below:

In this scenario, the Fantom may be running internal sounds or acting just as a controller of VSTi plugins or a hybrid situation with splits mixing internal and external VSTi based sounds. All audio running through the Fanom-07 acting as the main audio interface (ASIO).

I want to have GP4 controlling all the sound selections, both VSTi based and Fantom-07 based sounds. But I also may be using some home-grown software running on the same PC that gives me touchscreen access to the sounds, one entry per song (so a randomly selectable set-list). I’m trying to get my head around how best to control the Program Change logistics.

So, the scenario is, my setlist app switches rackspace my sending in a Program Change MIDI command via a virtual MIDI connector (loopMIDI). The Gig Performer rackspace then has the VSTi plugins for that song but also needs to send another Program Change command to the Fantom-07 to select the correct scene to match the rackspace.

I know I can select a racksapce by Program Change command, but can it then also send one out when loaded? Or should I send both the Program Change commands from my app, one to GP4 and the other to the Fantom?

1 Like

It can: Gig Performer | How to send Program Change messages out to hardware devices and other applications

3 Likes

Aaaah, thank you! For the life of me I couldn’t see that when exploring it all this week. Probably because I was also trying to get my head around exactly how the Internal and External zones interact within the Fantom (despite having owned a big Fantom 7 for a few years!)

1 Like