How to Do Nothing on Rackspace or Gig Load?

Hi,

Suppose I have a Global Workspace rack panel containing many widgets (sliders, buttons, knobs) being used to control down-stream software through a virtual MIDI connection. The down-stream software has it’s own presets. I do not want to perturb the existing loaded down-stream preset when I open a new rackspace. IOW, I do not want to send widget values out to the down-stream software upon loading a new rackspace (or a new gig).

Yes, later, if I choose, I will use the widgets to effect realtime changes, but I do not want anything to change down-steam until and unless I manipulate the widgets.

Can someone tell me now to configure to create this behavior? Offhand, I do not see any widget or system setting for ‘Do Nothing on Rackspace/Gig Load’.

Thanks.

The specific situation is using a physical Korg nanoKontrol2 connected to a full widget mock-up of itself (nicely provided from this Forum) in the Global Rackspace to control the KARMA Motif software realtime parameters through a virtual MIDI port.

I only want the preset KARMA Motif settings to update from the nanoKontrol2 when I make a move on the nanoKontrol2. IOW, “no move, no change” is the goal here.

How could one accomplish that currently?

Unless you create a script to intercept all the widgets and control from the script whether the messages should be sent, the only other obvious possibility is to put the widgets in the global rackspace.

Well, another obvious possibility is to put them in a separate GP instance that has only one rackspace

You could perhaps use the ‘follow hardware’ option, I never really used it, but it seems that it could work for you:

Hmmm - not sure it doesn’t initialize the widgets at least once, even in the Global Rackspace, which will in turn send something to your software… It may take some experimentation…

That is the situation. The widgets (nanoKontrol2 panel) are in the Global Rackspace. Can I turn off the sending of their positions until I move them? I don’t see where to do it.

I could imagine such a built-in toggle as useful at each of the Rackspace, Panel, and single Widget level.

I appreciate the idea that all the widgets could be intercepted and passed or blocked by a script. If there is no other way, it’s good to know that is possible.

Widgets in the global rackspace won’t send anything out when you switch rackspaces unless you have local rackspace widgets controlling them.

1 Like

Thanks, confirmed.

However, they do send when a Gig is loaded.

For the first startup of the day, it is of minimal importance. I just make sure GP is the program I start first and the messages don’t impact programs that are not started yet.

After that though, it would be desirable for my use case to be able to load a Gig w/o sending messages from the the nanoKontrol2 panel in the Global Rackspace merely as a result of loading the Gig. The purpose of that panel is entirely to be there to do it’s magic when I make physical moves on the actual nanoKontrol2. It is not meant to be an “initializer”, if I may put it that way.

The point of sending messages out on load is to make sure external stuff is configured properly for the specific gig

Perhaps don’t plug your nano in until the gigfile has loaded

Yes, of course. And when proper configuration for the gig requires that down-stream software should receive messages on Gig startup then sending those messages is what is desirable.

I suppose I’m finding out and then pointing out that there are situations when proper configuration for the gig requires that down-stream software should not receive messages from the Global Rackspace (or portion thereof) on Gig startup. It’s an alternate case, ultimately worthy of accommodation, IMO.