How to Change VST presets when switching song parts

Hello,

Recently whenever I need to switch VST sounds between song parts I simply make a new rackspace with the same VST and in the new song part I select a new preset.

I’m running into an issue using the midi file player triggering kontakt. song part 1 and 2 have the exact same drum/midi pattern but use different samples. My old way described above is resulting in considerable glitches and I’m looking for a workaround.

Now I’d like to use the same rackspace for both song part 1 and 2, but moving to song part 2 will need to trigger kontakt to change patches. I’d also like to do this with an Arturia Prophet 5 VST.

I know how to send program changes to external hardware, but not to VSTs. Any tips?

Thanks

You could use multiple instances of Kontakt and use the midi filter plugin to block note on messages.
This can be controlled via widgets and variations.

Via a widget mapped to a midi in plugin you can send pc messages to all vst wired to that midi in plugin.

Thanks. What MIDI Filter plugin param would I assign to the widget?

Block note on

If I use Instance 1 in Song Part 1 and Instance 2 in Song Part 2, each would be attached to my one main MIDI controller, correct?

Where in the chain would the MIDI Filter go?

During Song part 1 the widget would have to allow notes for Instance 1 and block notes to Instance 2. and when changing to song part 2 the widget would have to start blocking notes to Instance 1 and allow for Instance 2.

I’m just a few months into GP so pardon my ignorance, but I don’t follow how all that could be achieved with one widget.

You need 2 widgets, each blocks note on messages in the 2 midi filter plugins.

Okay, I think I can figure this out now.

I wonder why simply bypassing plugin (with no widget assignment) isn’t included in variations? Would make this much easier, but maybe I’m missing something…

With a widget you also can bypass a plugin, but then you loose the feature to hold a sound until you release the keys and play after that with the new sound.
A variation Itself does nothing, it is a snapshot of different widget values.

Understood. Is this feature to a hold the sound until releasing key enabled by default?

This called midi patch persost

The variations are not primarily intended to control which plugins are used: they are meant to have various settings for parameters of plugins. When you want different plugin configurations you could (and maybe should) use separate rackspaces: when you switch rackspaces, you have also the benefit that the audio is not bluntly cut off. Furthermore less trouble with loading presets: the rackspace itself is more or less the preset.

But maybe you already knew this :nerd_face: