How I'm using GSi VB3 with gig performer effectively

Hey Josh, thanks for sharing your solution. I wanted to add some observations that might be helpful to the many keyboard players who strive to recreate the powerful impact of a B3 through a Leslie, properly miced up and screaming and growling as only a Hammond and Leslie can do, through a concert PA system, and aren’t willing to settle for a weaker sound just because it might be easier to set up.

Having owned and moved numerous Hammonds and Leslies for many years, I was quite happy with the B3 emulation I used to use in MainStage before switching to Gig Performer a year ago. After trying a number of replacement candidates, I decided on the GSI VB3 for its rich, powerful sound and tweakability. Having decades of experience with the real thing, I was very picky about what I could get from a plugin, and to my ears, the VB3 beats all the rest.

But the organ sound is only half of the equation. The Leslie emulation is every bit as crucial to the full experience. The VB3 Leslie emulation is good, though I don’t think as real as the Logic/MainStage emulation. I just discovered a plugin in that I think, like the VB3, beats the rest for a true-to-life B3/Leslie sound. It’s apparently been around a while, but I was never aware of it until a few weeks ago, and it’s now part of my Gig Performer organ setup. It’s from a plugin company based in Prague, and it’s called the MeldaProduction MVintageRotary. They don’t pay me, this is strictly a recommendation based on sound quality. Here’s the link:

Everybody’s ears are different, and your mileage may vary, but for me the GSI VB3 with the Leslie emulation switched off, through the MVintageRotary is as real as it gets today.

Thanks again for your preset loading solution, very helpful.

3 Likes