How do I apply sustain to part of the keyboard?

Hi All.
I have split my midi controller keyboard to play two sounds.
The lowest octave is set to play pads while the higher octaves are set to play the flute.
When I depress my sustain pedal, I wish to obtain sustain (hold) on the pads only and not the flute.
How can this be achieved?
Thank you.

How did you do that? You should use separate MIDI In Blocks to split your controller - don’t do it with your controller.

To further what @dhj said, for the MIDI IN block you’ll route to the flute, insert a MIDI Filter after it and block CC64. Or, you can just block sustain on the MIDI In block itself.

I was just about to reply - you don’t need the MIDI filter. But I tend to use a completely different approach in this situation. I would have a MIDI In Block preset which blocks everything except Sustain and then that block represents my sustain pedal.

Then I always block the sustain message in other MIDI In Blocks and so when I want to use sustain, I just throw in that extra block and connect it to the plugin that should receive sustain messages.

1 Like

Nice, very clever…creating a Sustain block.
There are many ways to achieve the same goal, which was what I was trying to show.

Thanks so much guys. The technique works well.
I used 2 midi blocks and blocked cc64 on one of them.
Works beautifully.
Thanks again.