Help Please: Extreme Input Latency for Acoustic Guitar

Hi. I am running a trial of Gig Performer with the intent to buy it. Most things are absolutely amazing, but I have one problem.

First, playing a MIDI keyboard into a collection of MIDI instruments (Kontakt Alicia Keys and Session Strings and other layers for instance) works perfectly. Makes my life so much easier. There is no perceptible latency from a key strike to the note sounding in the speakers.

FWIW, I am using a Windows i9 computer (32Gb RAM) with an RME UFX interface. I am running the RME ASIO driver at 64 samples.

The problem appears when I try to play my acoustic guitar into the RME UFX, running the audio through a Guitar Pro 5 VST plugin and back out through the UFX. There is a significant latency between plucking the string and the note sounding on the speakers. This is even if the wet/dry is set to completely dry.

Using the same setup and running Guitar Pro in standalone mode, everything works fine with no perceptible latency. It would appear that there is some serious input latency on the audio side of Gig Performer, but that is just my guess. (FWIW, the latency sounds the same whether I run the ASIO at 64 samples or 1024 samples.)

I really hope this is solvable as it would prevent carrying around a rack of hardware effects. I think GP is still useful, but solving this would be amazing.

Any ideas?

Are you setting this via the GP Options window?

If you don’t add that Guitar Pro plugin to the rackspace, do you get the same behaviour?

Hi @lmichaelson, welcome to the GP community forum. :wink:

What do you mean exactly by significant?

If I would like to reproduce what you are describing (delayed note indépendant from the buffer size), I would use the TotalMixFx delay on my guitar and monitor only the wet signal. Could you check if you are not doing something like that?

Could you please try to set the audio level and the effects send level fo your guitar to 0 in TotalMix and do what @rank13 suggested, try to route the guitar audio input to your main audio output within GP without going though any plugin?

Could you please try to set the audio level and the effects send level fo your guitar to 0 in TotalMix and do what @rank13 suggested, try to route the guitar audio input to your main audio output within GP without going though any plugin?

FX send on TotalMix was 0. I did route the GP input straight to the GP output and there was no delay. Thanks @rank13 for the idea.

I write software for my day job, even used write flight avionics. How did I miss this step? Must have been tired.

What do you mean exactly by significant ?

I sounded like about 200 ms. That did sound like way to much for just latency.

If I would like to reproduce what you are describing (delayed note indépendant from the buffer size), I would use the TotalMixFx delay on my guitar and monitor only the wet signal. Could you check if you are not doing something like that?

That is exactly what was going on. Somehow, I was using a different patch when testing Guitar Rig in GP than I was using with Guitar Rig standalone. I’ll chalk that up to being either sleepy or stupid.

Now, pulling credit card out of pocket.

While the credit card is out, the next question is whether or not to buy the Lexicon plugin. I guess the good news is that when you buy a plugin you get multiple instances for one price.

4 Likes

TotalMix is very powerful, but it is difficult to be both in FOH engineer and musician mode at the same time. You are probably not stupid as you quickly decided to buy your licence of GP. Have fun with GP :wink:

3 Likes