Grace Sampler - Crashes Gig Performer

Hi,

Has anyone tried using Grace sampler from One Small Clue software? https://www.onesmallclue.com/

It’s a fantastically simple and easy to use sampler (and it’s free!) which I really want to use in my live rig, but it crashes in Gig Performer 4.1 when attempting to access the GUI from the wiring view (works fine in my DAW software, Cantabile etc). GigPerformer then crashes out to desktop without an error code

Interestingly, in Gigperformer 3.X, it also throws an error on loading the GUI, but then continues to work as normal.

As it loads fine in other music apps, seems strange that it crashes in Gig Performer… and behaves differently between versions. :thinking:

Are you on Mac or Win ? Which video renderer are you using, OpenGL ?

Grace sampler, it seems to be win only, so… = Win

Here’s the error I get when attempting to open the GUI in GP:

grace

Closing that window opens 2 windows for Grace, both blank, and once they are closed GP shuts down without an error message.

I did find that I was able to load the GUI if I wrapped the Grace plugin inside BlueCat Patchwork. The same error message is thrown, but the GUI for Grace does load after that.

Unless this has some unique features, switch to Sitala and have one less headache :wink:

2 Likes

It’s clearly a bug in grace. Doesn’t matter that it works on other plugins – GP exercises more of the plugin specification than many other hosts and also timing differences can cause race conditions that would very much depend on a particular implementation. Please report the issue to the plugin developer.

1 Like

Sitala is a great program, but it’s a one shot drum sampler so it’s lacking a lot of features that Grace has (e.g. polyphonic playback, filter envelopes, amplitude envelopes, mod envelopes etc…)

1 Like

Thanks dhj, and for the explanation on why the issue would occur in GP but not other hosts. Will attempt to raise it with the developer

Have you looked at TX16WX - it’s highly regarded, they have a free version and it’s got all that stuff in it

https://www.tx16wx.com/

Thanks dhj, I think that’s what I’ll have to move over to - from what I can tell Grace seems like abandonware at the moment. Shame as the GUI for Grace is really so elegant and easy to use, whilst still being really powerful… something TX16SW could probably do with!

Have reached out to an email I found for the developer, but not holding out much hope for an update. If I hear back I’ll update this thread…

Yeah, well, downside of “free”