GP with Hardware Synths. MIDI Mapper

Hi -
I currently use 2 hardware synths. Possibly adding a 3rd, and have a rack mounted module. A new band is requiring some backing track / playback functionality. I have been looking around, and looking at GP. Most everything I see shows GP controlling VST, as well as sending/receiving some MIDI.
With my requirements for this new band, I am looking for a master (keyboard) that could send program changes to 2-3 other synths. i.e. have the “song” patches changed by 1 master. Also, then, thinking of which of the 3 hardware synths would/could control the rack synth.
So I wonder if anyone uses GP for this purpose. i.e.

1. send GP a program change, and it can send out other program changes on different MIDI channels. Thus changing all the other synths to the needed patch.
  2. Ability to route incoming midi from 3 different MIDI sources/channels and convert that MIDI to a 4th channel (used by the rack synth) so that any of the 3 could control the 4th (rack).
    Thanks

That all is possible :wink:

1 Like

Hi @Kelly, welcome to the GP community forum.

This works perfectly with GP.

If your synth can work in MIDI Local Off mode, you will be able to do any possible routing from GP. Any split on any synth keyboard for controlling any instrument plugin and even control your synths sound engine like a plugin.

2 Likes

Everything you want to do is pretty trivial in GP — the only thing is that the paradigm is different from most other hosts so you have to think a little differently.

Yes, several ways to do this. The usual approach is to create a MIDI Out block for each synth and then configure the program change you want to send out. Each rackspace could set those as needed

Another way to do it is through Song parts - that’s helpful if you are reusing the rackspaces

There are several other ways to do this as you’ll find out depending on your needs

Basic functionality using a MIDI In block for each of your sources and then setting the desired output channgel

2 Likes