GP Presets ".gpp_vst" in Rackspaces/Variation

Hi, I would like to suggest adding this feature, this will give the ability to simply switch between presets in plugins without adding all the parameters in the panel view.

With a knob or fader scroll trough saved GP presets (".gpp_vst)

Thanks in advance.

With some scripting you can:

• Name your variation the same as a preset name, and have it automatically loaded when you switch to the variation
  • Use a knob to scroll preset names, and have it load the preset when you stop scrolling.
1 Like

You need to be very careful with this (and this is the reason we haven’t made it accessible via a knob).

The problem is that when you load a preset this way, you are replacing the entire state of the plugin — that’s not an “instant” operation and will generally cause a delay, leading to glitching if you do it while you’re actually playing — if they haven’t properly protected themselves, some plugins may even crash if you send MIDI events to them while they’re loading state.

You really should not be trying to add all parameters to a panel – the point of a few widgets is to allow important parameters to be tweaked while you’re playing, they’re not intended to be used to completely change a plugin — that’s why you use multiple rackspaces.

So for example, if you’ve loaded a Rhodes piano, you might have widgets to tweak the Tremolo rate and depth, or perhaps to turn on or off reverb. If you have a moog synth (say), you might have a couple of parameters to tweak the cutoff filter in real time, perhaps adjust the ADSR.

But you do not want to be be changing many hundreds of parameters in real time.

1 Like

Is this a contradiction? I guess you mean ‘You really shouldn’t be trying’

Yeah, thanks. I made the correction

Thanks for explanation.

Anyway I will use it to change presets in a EQ.
So I don’t think it will be a problem.

I’m building a guitar rack all in one rackspace, I’m using NAM as guitar plugin and since it’s a bit heavy on resource, I find that switching between rackspace give a bigger CPU spike, while with variations I don’t have that problem.

The scenario is, I have multiple amps and I want to eq post each amp separately, instead of having one eq per amp, change presets of the eq with a widget can be usefull.

I already add widgets to that eq in the panel view, but since I’m using variations, I have to eq each variation of every time I make a change.

Consider adding this feature maybe avalible throght advanced options. :slight_smile:

Why? If the EQ is the same for each variation, then why not just enable “Ignore Variations” for the EQ widgets?

The thing is that the eq is global if ignore variations, I can’t change it per amp, since I’m using all in one rackspace, and make changes only with variations, in this ways gives me less CPU spike when changing presets.

Are you using different Amps in 1 rackspace and activate/deactivate them in variations?

Yes, I also bypass them to save CPU.

OK, why not use different rackspaces?

Because switching rackspaces gives me a CPU spike, in variations not problem. In lower buffer that spike, gives that weird noises

What Hardware, sampler rate and buffer size are you using?

Saffire Pro 40,
i7 4790
48khz
96 or 128 buffer

Also wanna know is it possible to link widgets in regular rackpaces/variations to plugins in global rackspace, makes sense to me, having pre fx and post fx in global and the amps in different rackspaces but you can change global too

Yes it is, using the to and from global rackspace input or output ''plugins" in the wiring view (the same plugins you use for audio routing between normal rackspaces and the global rackspace)

Are you using the ASIO driver?
And how looks your CPU Meter in Gig Performer?

I mean controlling global rackspaces plugins with widgets in default rackspace/variations. Is that possible?

Yes, that is possible
In the global rackspace you control plugins like you would in the local rackspace.
And with local widgets you can controls global widgets.
This way you control plug-in parameters oin global rackspace via local widgets.
That all is documented in the user manual.

Please review the documentation - this process is described in detail

1 Like