GP-Preset Roll-Selector - new version with proper variation use!

Hi everyone,
this is a follow up thread from this one:

It got quite crowded in a short time, so it probably would be difficult to find the new information. It’s closed now, but the files are still there, and i also left a note to this new thread… hope that’s OK.

Same Intro… :wink:
since there were quite some questions and discussionsabout how to switch presets with widgets, scriptig, variations… i thought i could try to builld yet another rackspace to achieve these tasks.

!!! NEW !!!
This is a new version which now makes proper use of variation names to switch to a corresponding GP-preset (if available). So you should now be able to add or remove GP-presets to the plugin whithout the issue that your variation-setting is getting messed up by this!

The rackspace looks like this:

I removed the step-sequencer from the wiring view and the “Play” button from the panel.
Also i decided to use the “on board” organ plugin from LostIn70s, since this should be a common plugin for all GP-users… no need to install something new.
Maybe you should first save some GP-Presets from within the plugin, so there would be some content to play with!

So this is how it works:
You can step through the list of available GP-Presets by either using the +1 or -1 buttons or by turning the knob on the left. When you press the “Select” button on the right, the preset in the highlighted (middle) field will be activated/loaded. The actually active preset name will be shown in the text field on top. That’s pretty it…

You can of course save more presets (i think up to 256) or delete some from the preset-folder - the script should “catch” the changes as soon as you press a button or turn the knob.

If a variation has the same name as one of the previously saved GP-presets, the corresponding GP-preset will be called - no matter of alphabetical sorting or whatever - if it’s there, it gets called!
IMPORTANT NOTE:
If you use a variation with a name which is “unknown” in the preset list, only the knob position will be stored in that variation. This means that the connection between knob position and preset might be lost if you change the number of available presets - don’t rely on the knobs position!
It’s OK to play around and to try sounds, but if you really want to save a preset in a variation, use the before mentioned naming method!

Have fun with it:
GP-Preset-Roll-Selector(Vari).gig (290.4 KB)

Cheers!
Erik

There was a question before…

I also thought about how it could be done with multiple “modules”, but since i decided to use the variations name to call a corresponding preset, it would be difficult to “encode” a variation name with the information of say:
Module 1: Organ/Preset 1
Module 2: Piano/Preset 124
Module 3: Lead Synth/Preset 45
…

Also one had to “decode” that variation name again, so that the script would “know” which Module is active, which one maybe not, and wich preset to switch to with which module… very complex, quite difficult, nothing for (selfish :wink ): me…

Feel free to use this rackspace for your own experiments…

How do I instal it?

As can be seen from the file extension, it’s a gig file - you just open it like any other gigfile.

I’d like to use it in my own gigfile. Do I just copy it and paste in mine?

And how about scriplets? Do I instal them somehow or do I muat paste them into a speciffic folder?

No idea, I have not looked at it myself. It was created by a user.

Generally, open it, poke around, look at at all the pieces, understand it and then adapt it to your own needs,

What about scriplets? Do they need to be put in a speciffic folder or installed?

No, you just insert a scriptlet from the menu, open the editor window of it and copy/paste from the source scriptlet.

There are no “Scriptlets” used at all in this gig file.
What’s there, is a “Local Rackspace Script”.
Don’t confuse these two with each other!

It’s always important to use the correct terms - not only for a proper communication, but also to understand how things actually work.

I’m aware of that. I went off the topic. Should hace been aamore clear.

@schamass how would you use this with subfolder organization in the GP user preset hierarchy? Meaning, in the plugin I use, I have GP presets saved in subfolders within that plugin’s main preset folder.
As of now, it doesn’t “see” any GP presets, b/c they are all in the MAR-JCM2203-2dor folder.

Is there a way to get the GetGPPresetList to look inside the subfolder?

The mechanism that updates menus does not look in sub folders. It’s not recursive

Got it. So even though I was able to get the

LoadGPPreset(GW1, “MAR-JCM2203-2dor/CleanDI”)

to load it from the subfolder, there is no way to instruct the GetGPPresetList to look inside the subfolder?

I guess not, since “GetGPPresetList” only sees the plugin block itself, but not some folder structure, whereas the load instruction works with a string, which might also contain a path additionally.
That’s why the one works and the other doesn’t.

Makes sense. Thank you!

Both the script function and the menu system are using the same underlying system. It frankly never occurred to me to make it recursive

In my case, the same plugin uses all my guitar captures that are in the thousands. When I want to make GP user presets, I want to organize it by amp capture (subfolders), otherwise it would quickly get messy.

Would it be possible/useful to add an optional parameter to the “GetGPPresetList” function, so that if this is set, it would work recursively (and outputs a preset list with corresponding paths)?
Like…
GetGPPresetList (p : Block, chunkN : integer, recursive : boolean) autotype returns String Array

GPScript doesn’t currently support overloading so it would have to be a separate function. That’s not a big deal but some restructuring would be required. Not a bad idea for a future improvement

I agree. :+1: