GP not responding after audio settings change (Behringer UMC 404HD)

When trying out the GP demo version, I experienced numerous crashes (crash reports were sent) or GP hanging after changing ASIO settings or switching from Windows Audio to ASIO.
In most cases I cannot send a crash report because GP does not crash completely, but the application is not responding and has to be closed in Task Manager.
The interface is a Behringer UMC 404HD, it seems to work better with ASIO4all.
Since I really love GP’s workflow and capabilities, I’d like to be sure enough to buy it :wink: I only found one post about the 404hd interface. Does anyone else have experience with this interface?
Thank you all in advance.

I wouldn’t use this under any circumstances, personally.
Have you downloaded the latest drivers for your device?

Yes, I did. I would also prefer using the device’s original drivers if they work. I never had problems with the interface in other tools: windows sound, reaper (daw), standalone plugin apps…

I once had a similar problem, and if i recall it right, uninstalling the Asio4all driver indeed helped.
At least this is something you could try quite easily. (not having the UMC and ASIO4ALL installed at the same time)

Unfortunately, this is not the solution, here. I installed asio4all only after experiencing the GP issues.

Did you change the audio settings in GP after you loaded a gig file?

Behringer’s driver is crashing. That is not Gig Performer’s fault. On these kinds of things devs can’t really do anything…

What’s interesting, Behringer for its low-end devices doesn’t even provide a dedicated ASIO driver, but recommends ASIO4ALL.

See here an example for UMC22: Audio drivers

What’s also interesting, I used a dedicated Behringer driver for another device and it worked perfectly.

Anyway, for professional use I suggest that you buy a reliable, non-low-end interface that you can use in the long run. You don’t have to buy a pricy RME interface, you can check out (say) MOTU or Scarlett interfaces.

P.S.

Check out this category Gig Performer in Action: Gig Performer in Action - Gig Performer Community
… to see what audio interfaces and controllers are used by other Gig Performer users.

Found this on the Amazon site

• Kompatibel mit Windows XP, Vista, 7/8/10 und Mac OSX

What windows version are you using?

Interesting forum discussion
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sound-problems-with-audiointerface-behringer-umc22/0031379d-623a-41fb-88b3-5957e8e36391

It’s a “HD” interface and Behringer provides dedicated ASIO drivers for those.

3 Likes

Yes, I just checked. There is a dedicated driver from October, 2022 for Windows 10 and 11.

4 Likes

@Tobias can you confirm you used the following ASIO driver V5.51.0 from october 2022?

BEHRINGER_UMC_Driver-V5.51.0.zip

I have used the Behringer UMC404HD and UMC1820 for a few years and am very happy with them. They have proven to be the absolute best bang for the buck IMO. On the other hand, I am not a professional musician so some of the features that are a ‘must’ for them are not critical for my use and an inexpensive interface is fine for me.

As Nemanja and others have pointed out, Behringer makes a dedicated driver for their UMC interfaces. Best of all, they are one of the manufacturers that actually make the effort to insure they have up to date drivers that keep their products working as designed with OS updates when MS publishes them, where appropriate. The link to the driver Download Center is HERE. You will have to set the appropriate filters 'Product Groups > Audio Interfaces, the driver for the UMC404HD should be on the first page.

Now with respect to the Behringer driver and ASIO4All: My personal opinion is to use the Behringer driver. I have used the ASIO4All and three or four other ASIO drivers (covered elsewhere in the Community) but the Behringer driver is the easiest to configure, works seamlessly with their audio interface, and easy to manage in Windows if necessary. Using the other ASIO drivers require a better working knowledge of how to manage them in Windows, and depending how many different ASIO driver manufacturers you are trying to manage, it can get very challenging (in Windows). My advise would be to uninstall any ASIO drivers you may have installed and then install the Behringer driver only which should keep it simple.

And in closing, I see many complaints about various interfaces not working/having driver issues, including some of the most expensive you can buy. In their cases they usually have built in standards compliant drivers that can be used if all else fails, but they don’t support the additional capabilities that they have. However, MAC seems to have the fewest issues and does a superlative job supporting ASIO and MIDI. WIndows users have more problems. At the end of the day many users don’t have any problems at all, may we all be so fortunate!

1 Like

To make sure no plugins crash I load an empty gig file before I change settings.

Yes, it is the 5.51.0

1 Like

Windows 10 Home, 21H1

I have to say that once the ASIO driver, sample rate and buffer size are selected successfully (if I first select asio4all and then Behringer, rather than selecting Behringer ASIO directly after Windows Audio, chances are good that the settings can be applied) it seems pretty stable so far.

I have used a Behringer UMC404HD for years before I used GigPerformer as audio interface, mostly for mixing my computer sound output and a hardware synthesizer. It works great for that.

However, when I started using GigPerformer it didn’t crash on me with the Behringer, but I got a lot of pops and crackles when my CPU got above 50% (both on my laptop and PC). The same effect was there when using a UMC204HD, the smaller version).

So because of that reason I decided to go for FocusRite 2i4 and the pops/crackles were gone.

I think your GigPerformer application did not actually crash, but if you have quite a big gig file, closing it can take several minutes in which it is unresponsive. You can see in the task manager the memory used by GigPerformer slowly going down until it closes by itself. But to be honest, I mostly save the gig file, and then close it, and kill it in the TaskManager as it is much faster.

But if you want to use GP in a real time environment (like playing live), consider a ‘better’ audio interface.