GP message on shutdown

Sorry, the attachment paper clip seems to have disappeared, so I cant add. The message reads:

"GigPerformer 3.exe - Application Error
The instruction at 0x00007FFB8A71EE9D referenced memory at 0x0000000000000070. The memory could not be written.
Click OK to terminate the program

I get this popup too Occassionally.

I also just put a post about this error i get all the time

I’m finding that my VSTs start going strange and not sounding right, and when I reboot to fix this, this message is sitting there. When the computer reboots and GP reloads, the message is gone and everything sounds normal again. I’d like to know the cause and if it can be fixed.

No official response?

Having to reboot your computer to fix a problem is not really a solution. You have some other issue with your computer.

In other threads you constantly keep saying that you are “rebuilding” your computer. We have no idea what that means and why do you have to do that, but it certainly indicates a HARDWARE problem or a combination hardware/driver problem which creeps back in after you update things.

Also - please understand that a single VST that does not “like” something can bring the entire GP down. There is nothing that can be done there.

The message on shutdown could be caused by many factors including a stuck VST that refuses to unload and when you shut down your computer it reports the issue with GP which hosts it.

These are community forums where we discuss things, issues, offer advice to each other etc…
Please keep that in mind when posting and interacting with us and other members of this forum.

The computer was new late last year. I guess it could be faulty but I wouldn’t know how to find that out.
Thanks for your thoughts. I’ll try not to bring up the subject again.

Hey Al,
not good that you have so much trouble with your system…
As far as i remember, you use a Surface Pro with WIN10 on it?
Maybe this video (and also the comments) may be helpful for you…

You mentioned in another thread that you “rebuilt your Windows” - did this mean that you formatted your harddrive and manuylly installed the OS and all the necessary drivers from scratch or did you just write back a ready made image from the manufacturer (say “from a recovery partition”)?
If it is the second option, it could be that your system already has lots of so called ‘bloatware’ installed which could cause some unwanted side-effects…
Besides that… what audio interface do you use?
I wish you all the luck that you get your little machine running as it should. :+1:

Thanks for the encouragement Erik. By rebuilding the OS, I mean resetting the computer deleting all files and installing a brand new system including the latest updates. Because the Surface Pro is made by Microsoft, there is no bloatware involved. The machine I have is a SP 6, i7 with 16gig ram. My interface is a NI Traktor Audio 2 Mk 2. Not sure why it doesn’t remain stable. The most annoying thing after the rebuild is having to go through GP’s rackspaces replacing all the midi inblocks, all the learned midi switches for rotary speed etc, and all the volume controls that no longer work. Not sure why GP doesn’t remember these. Because I have 260 rackspaces, it usually takes me a couple of weeks to get GP running properly again.

That’s why you should try to get familiar with the ‘Rig Manager’.
As Nebojsa mentioned in another thread, it is most likely that your MIDI-blocks have diffrent (internal) identifiers and therefore have to be replaced with the new one… if you had used the Rig Manager, you could have given an alias name of your own choice to the MIDI-device you are using. This name would then be used in all of the rackspaces (and this name references the actual MIDI device in the Rig Manager), so in case you have to change your keyboard (or windows gives a new identifier), all you had to do is to re-define the (new) keyboard to the alias name in the Rig Manager only once and all the rackspaces that are based on this alias name were functional again.
Unfortunately, i can’t tell you if there is an option to replace all the MIDI-in blocks with a ‘Rig Managed one’ in all of your rackspaces automatically…
Maybe this article will help you through this:
https://gigperformer.com/the-rig-manager/

Yes - if you simply right click on a MIDI In (or MIDI Out) block and select “Replace MIDI device…” it will ask you if you want to do that in all rackspaces and if you want to do it by device name or block name (you would use Device name in your case @bigalminal

Surface Pro is a wonderful machine. I’ve never had trouble with it and never had to reinstall windows on it. What’s troubling is that things work after you reinstall windows and then you get the issues again.

I’ll just throw in another suggestion - check for an infection by a “ROOT KIT”. These are notoriously hard to remove from a computer, creep back in after reinstall and could be responsible for your problems. You can read more about it here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/intelligence/rootkits-malware

Good luck!

Thanks Erik. I have had a look at the Rig Manager but didn’t really understand how to apply it in my case. I use a Guitar Hero and an Alesis Keytar both wireless as my controllers. I didn’t see how to fit them into the Rig Manager. Also, I have lots of led switches that have been learned to things like guitar change from picking to strumming (that you helped me with), led for rotary organ fast/slow, volume sliders that cut strings out in verses then back in for chorus etc. All of these functions are controlled wirelessly as midi messages from my iPad over the router I take with me. These functions are the ones that stop working also. I just couldnt understand how the Rig Manager would handle all that. I’m a musician first and a computer geek a distant second and it seems that many of the responders on the forum have a much deeper knowledge of GP than I do. While GP is very simple to use and easy to get to grips with on a basic level, it has deep layers that I frankly don’t have time to try and understand. Because I perform regularly twice a week, it seems that my time is taken up fixing songs that break like I’ve mentioned. I just want GP to work for me all the time. I will read the article you found for me and I want to thank you for your tolerance and encouragement as I work my way through these very frustrating issues.

Hello community, also happens to me, and I came to the conclusion (I hope correct) that happens when you close gig and immediately after you turn off or restart the PC, in this phase Windows has not managed to free the memory occupied by GIG performer and open plugins, generating the error.