GP Loading freezes on Pianoteq 8, Why?

Note that in my the freezing occurs just in rackpaces where there are two instances of VST3 Pianoteq. I don’t know whether it’s somehow relevant for the issue…

1 Like

Interesting. I wonder if they’re both trying to write to the same file and one is getting locked?

It’s also somewhat random. In my gig, there are several rackspaces with two Pianoteqs, and freezing happens on one of them (but not always the same one).

I think that is it, multiple Pianoteqs within one backspace. Today it took me 6 attempts to load my gig file. It kept getting stuck on Painoteq. (At my last gig, my gig file opened the first time. I was so thankful for that.) When it did open today, I changed my rackspaces with multiple Pianoteq plugins with another piano plugin. Since replacing the second Pianoteq plugin, I have had no loading issues. My gig file loads every time. This is not ideal, I love the having Pianoteq as my piano plugin. I am wondering where the issue lies, GigPerformer or Pianoteq. If this ever gets resolved I will return to multiple Pianoteq plugins within a Rackspace. Thanks everyone for the responses.

The symptoms really sound like one instance of Pianoteq is trying to access a file that is locked by another instance of Pianoteq and so getting held up. Have you tried older versions of pianoteq?

1 Like

interesting !
I use quasi in all my Rackspaces also two PT instances, and not just one.
In my case AU.
So, there we have a match.

I just created a gigfile with 2 rackspaces each containing 3 Pianoteq 8 vst3 plugins. It loads and reloads just fine.

Mac Monterey 12.6.6

Update: Modartt support sent me a download link for older versions, 8.0.7 and 8.0.8. After reinstalling 8.0.7 the gig file loads and works normally. It still doesn’t work with the newest 8.1 update.

1 Like

I hope they fix the bug soon.

I have just been informed by Modartt that they have found the problem and a new update will be released in the next few days.

5 Likes

As I am using Pianoteq 8.1 on Mac, was the issue only present on windows?

No, I am running a Mac Studio. I took out all the second instances of Pianoteq in my rackspaces. Now it loads every time. I will give it another try once they release an update. Thanks.

1 Like

There is a bugfix available

8.1.1 (2023/06/02)

• Fix a random deadlock when loading multiple instances at once.
  • Fixed the file overwrite warning of the MIDI file save (Windows, Linux).
  • Slightly better popup menu behaviour with touch screens.
6 Likes

I just discovered they have an iOS app for my iPad & phone available through my current license…Great!

1 Like

I updated to v8.1.1 yesterday morning. The Blüthner is my default piano, but for the heck of it, I loaded the U4 Vintage upright and played some blues through it. Sweeeeeeeeet! I’ve gotta use the U4 more often.

1 Like

Thank you. I will update.

That is nice…thanks!

The newest update 8.1.1. works for me as well.

2 Likes

so, my report vs. Pianoteq 8 and the problems:
updating to PT 8.1.1 did not solve the problems with my crashing Racks.
At least at first.

Two weeks ago i was running into problems with blackhole16.
sometimes deconnecting.
Problems became the day i posted here worse, and worser.
Thanks to a link @rank13 has posted, i found the deinstall info vs. Blackhole16.
I deinstalled and reinstalled. “This” problem was then solved.
Then, i was also running into problems with VCV Rack.
Tryed a beta, which makes it ARM ready, then found an official pre release, not taxed as Beta. Had problems in that sense that my VCV plugins were mostly nolonger there in the plugin folder.
De and reinstalled several times, and finnaly solved these problems too now.
Beeing back at 2.2 and not running 2.3.

one of my Gigs i could nolonger start, was quasi my main work.
It is worth 1.5 years of work !..i have it saved in several iterations. could nolonger start any.

anyother gig i nolonger could run, …just turned out “right now”, that it also inclouded VCV Rack2. I was not aware of that.
A third important gig that nolonger would start, …well, i must surch this one. Not shure which one it was.

So, no, for me, this topic was not yet solved. Now it is !
So, things seem to be now back at “as should be”. AS in: “No Problems with GP-plain happyness”.

i posted it as another example to show how complex such things can be. :laughing:

and: MUCH Thanks for all the help !

It would seem that the lesson here is to be very careful with beta software

Running latest and greatest isn’t always, well, great, particularly if one is dependent on reliability.

For example, I’m still running Pianoteq 7, even though P8 is out and the hang from is fixed.

I don’t mind being an early adopter for non-critical needs but for live performance?

Still running 10.14 on an older Intel Mac with no plans to upgrade!

4 Likes