GP and NI Maschine

Hi everyone,

I am using NI Maschine within GP (in slave mode). I am having two issues with this setup:

1. On project start, the Maschine Plugin doesn’t remember, that a controller (Maschine Mikro) was selected, so I have to redo this setting everytime. I don’t have this problem in a different vst host. I am not using the Maschine Midi Input Block, but the controller is selected inside the Maschine plugin.

2. I am trying to store the selection of a Maschine “Scene” with a rackspace variation, but this is not happening. When changing the variation, the Scene selection doesn’t get updated. Is there a way to achieve this?

Thanks for your support.

Cheers,
Chris

Hi Chris,
variations only store and recall the state of the widgets on your rackspace panel.
If you need to store a sound patch or other parameters that are not represented by widgets, you should make another rackspace.

ok, so if I add widgets to select scenes (however this is done in maschine), this would work? different rackspaces for different scenes doesn’t sound like the way to go. Scenes are rather related to song parts…

@Chris
Did you check Set List Mode?
This works fine with song parts and rackspace variations.

Yes I am doing this in setlist mode. I press the button next to the red LED in the top to save the current setting for the song part. Actually, it was my plan to choose scenes by widgets in the next step. Sounds like I need to do this first, so the scenes are recalled. I have to check how I can choose scenes in maschine with eg. a midi message or sysex… I am also involving GPScript, so I am ready to do what is necessary…

I do have machine and GP.
your use case is interesting, I will check on my system

This seems to be a way to do it…

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/703081/Native-Instruments-Maschine.html?page=183

As far as I understand, I can have a Program Change being sent on activation of a song part.

Yes that is possible.
Are you on Mac?

no Windows. Does it matter?

I am not sure if a virtual Midi Connection is necessary, I will check

Here is a small gig, by pressing the button a PC message is sent, as you can see in the included Midi Monitor.
This way it should be possible to switch scenes when switching variations.

machine(2).gig (5.2 KB)

And this is without scripting, when you switch to Song A Songpart “new” the PC message is sent.

machine_V2.gig (5.0 KB)

cool thanks a lot. I will check this out tonight.

If you think, this is interesting, you should see the rest of my setup. I have been doing this in reaper before, but want to optimize my setting by having to press only one button to switch sounds, effects, routing, bpm, and sheets. I am also providing click to the band and have sidechain compression on certain sounds being triggered by maschine over additional audio channels (so the sidechain source is not necessarily present in the main mix. There is much more I intend to do, like midi sequencing per song part… I also use the Akai APC Mini as a controller and used GP Script to sync the illumination of the controller buttons with the GP panel and add special functions like Playhead control, change of bpm on the fly. My basis is a bunch of sounds that I use frequently and can mix and layer arbitrarily. So majorly I am working with many variations on the same big Rackspace. For special songs, I plan to have individual rackspaces with more dedicated settings, but the majority of songs I can play with that one rackspace, giving me certain amount of flexibility.

I am doing similar, but with different rackspaces - this keeps things as simple as possible.
For click track and backing tracks I am using Ableton Live and it is synched via M4L and OSC messages to Gig Performer.
In Gig Performer im a selecting a rackspace and this selects the scene in Ableton Live.
In Gig performer I can mute/unmute tracks in Ableton Live and control the volume by widgets.
On my S88 MKII I can start/stop and trigger the current selected scene.

Here a working gig

Machine.gig (46.9 KB)

1 Like