GP 1.6.8 and empty Slate VMR plug-in

Ran into an issue in Gig Performer 1.6.8 where AU instances of the Slate Virtual Mix Rack came up empty, i.e. devoid of the plug-ins that once populated it. In trying to trace down what might be causing this I noticed that: 1)It was happening to some but not all instances of VMR. 2)Some of the VMR blocks were blue EFX blocks, while others were dark grey. The grey blocks had retained their plug-ins and settings. In creating new test blocks, I saw that AU blocks appeared as blue while VST blocks were grey. Replaced the blue VMR AU blocks with grey VST blocks, repopulated VMR and all seems well again.

It seems like GP couldn’t find the AU plugin versions of VMR all of a sudden. Did something else change? I.e, did you install an update of VMR?

I am not familiar with VMR but from your problem description it sounds like VMR is a plugin that hosts other plugins, is that correct?

If you look in the plugin manager, do the AU versions show up? If so, can you try changing the Loading Type from Normal to Delayed and see if that makes any difference?

Michael, are you able to reproduce this issue in both 1.6.8 and in the earlier 1.6.6 version of Gig Performer. If so, please report the issue to Slate. We have also submitted a request to Slate to report this issue and hopefully get access to a test version.

Hi David,

Yes, Virtual Mix Rack is a shell that hosts some specialty plug-ins and allows you to chain them together in a 500 style rack configuration. They have not had an update since before I began using Gig Performer and the only thing I’m sure that changed was my update from GP 1.6.6 to 1.6.8. It didn’t occur in 1.6.6, though I haven’t reverted back to double check, finding that changing the blocks from AU to VST and reloading them solved my immediate problem. The AU version of VMR (and other Slate plug-ins) do show up in the Plug-in Manager and load OK.

We just got code from them so we can test, which we will do as soon as possible. However, since you can use the VST version with no problem, it doesn’t sound like this is an emergency, although it would really be good to know whether it was happening in 1.6.6

Appreciate your patience though.

Hi David,

Just was able to confirm that VMR showed the same behavior in GP 1.6.6 as well.

First, I’m glad it’s not a consequence of our update, that would have been troubling.

I hate to bother you but would you be able to provide an EXACT set of steps that we could follow that would demonstrate the problem? Depending on what’s going on, we’ll share the info with Slate so the problem can be solved.

Sure. Created a gig, added 3 rackspaces, each with a single added block of AU VMR and populated each with a few random plug-ins from their menu. All loaded instances retained their plug-ins while the gig remained open, but when the gig file is closed or the app quit, upon reopening the file, only the most recently loaded instance of VMR retained its plug-ins, while all other instances were empty.

What do you mean by “most recent”? Do you have predictive loading enabled?

I’ll try your test ASAP (I’m deep in the bowels of something else new GP related (can’t talk about it yet :slight_smile: ) so can’t do my own testing just yet.

No, predictive loading is not enabled. By most recent, I meant the VMR instance that had most recently been populated with plug-ins. For example, in the test, rackspace 3 of the 3 was the last one that I loaded the VMR instance with a few of the Slate processors, so when the file was reopened, rackspace 3 was the only one that retained its plug-ins. When I repopulated the plug-ins in rackspace 2, then rackspace 1 and saved, upon reopening the file rackspace 1 retained its plug-ins while 2 and 3 were empty.