Got Global Rackspace, but

Ok I wanted Global Rackspace for a long time, and now we have it. However…

I am still trying now for a hour to figure out how make my Kontakt piano available on several Rackspaces by using the Global Rackspace (so the large Kontakt piano can be loaded only once).

I searched the forum. And the only video I find seem to be about using Global Rackspace for effect sends.

Could anyone direct me to a good resource for learning how use Global Rackspace to make my Kontakt piano available on several different Rackspaces? (so I load the big library only once)

You can play your Kontakt by using the MIDI In plugin in the global rackspace
This Is independant of the local rackspaces
What is the issue you have?

Just put the Kontakt in the Global Rackspace and route it to local rackspaces

In the local rackspace you get it back using the “From Global Rackspace” plugin

@pianopaul
That should help me get further. Thank you.
So can I also have another instance of Kontakt in the Global Rackspace (e.g. the second Kontakt has big orchestral library) and use either Kontakt on any Rackspace as desired?

Sure just adjust the number of channels of the to and from rackspace plugins and in the local rackspace you decide which channel to use.

With doubleclick on the from and to rackspace plugins you can change the number of channels.

@pianopaul

I wonder…
On Rackspaces that do not use the Global Rackspace, is the Global Rackspace still processing all my playing? (i.e. could it be using CPU to play samples that are not being heard?)

Yes it is processing.
But with Widgets you can bypass it

Take a look at this gig to get the idea
GlobalKontakt.gig (69.7 KB)

@pianopaul
You mean, now that I am implementing Global Rackspace, if I want to maintain the whole purpose of lowest CPU usage, I now have to add a widget on all my “Rackspaces that do not utilize the Global Rackspace” (to Bypass the samplers so they do not chew up CPU when I do organ smears, etc?)

You can load different Kontakt instances in the global rackspace and in the local rackspaces via widget you can bypass the not needed Kontakt instances.

See my previous post, I uploaded an example gig.

By the way, I am only using plugins in the global rackspace I need for all local rackspaces.
For example a room simulation plugin (yes I build my sounds with headphone and use VSX from slate to be sure the sound is good when played on different locations and PA system
and for sure that plugin is bypassed when playing live) and
at the end a Limiter to make sure not to get distortion.

All other plugins I am loading in my rackspaces.

When you use all you plugins in the global rackspace they all are active and you have to bypass or
even make sure the correct presets are loaded.

And with bad programming plugins (and there are many) you will overheat your CPU :wink:

Do you know that you can purge the sample pool in Kontakt?
This way only needed samples are loaded.
Could be a huge Sample RAM saver.

@pianopaul
But I am not playing the same notes every time I play a song. Would “purge samples” sometimes result in some notes being delayed when first pressed?

Are you playing all 88 notes on your keyboard?

@dhj
No I do not play all 88 notes, is there a manual range setting for “purge”.
Or before I purge, I play chromatically all the notes in the range I would use?

@pianopaul
I guess one main functionality I was thinking I would find in the Global Rackspace was:

The ability to route “any midi controller module that exists a Rackspace”, to send midi to the “instrument midi input in the Global Rackspace”.
That way the Global instrument would only have to process notes when a Rackspace is sending notes to the Global instrument.
Its seems like that functionality could coexist with the existing functionality of routing audio.

Of course, but until it happens, don’t you think there are many other possibilities to achieve the result you are looking for?

1 Like

@David-san
Yes and I am getting great help with that here in the forum! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Why can’t you just put MIDI In Blocks in the Global Rackspace?

More relevantly, why are you putting your instruments in the global rackspace? The purpose of the global rackspace is to put things in that are (and will remain) global – from what you’re describing, you should just be putting your instruments in individual rackspaces.

1 Like

I think I’ll ultimately use the Global Rackspace for a handful of MixBox instances that have various effects chains that I can send to from other racks. Initially, I thought I’d stick a couple of synths in there that are heavy on CPU, but once I discovered that they’re always using resources in the Global Rackspace, I went back to putting them into individual rackspaces.

Coming from 40+ years of working exclusively with hardware synths, I struggle with the most efficient approach to setting up a full show’s worth of racks containing multiple virtual instruments. With my Kronos, for example, I never need to worry about how many combis I have to a song or a show and I’m not going to run out of resources or have the keyboard crash on me.

If my favorite piano is a huge sample Library then I don’t want to load it 20 times