Global Rackspace Question

Hi,

I’m just playing with Global Racks and can’t quite get my head around one isssue - so would appreciate some advice please.

As an example suppose I had a gig file with (say) 6 normal racks and that each rack contains a instrument VST directing its audio output to the global rackspace. Suppose then that the global rack space itself contains a reverb plugin and some sort of volume control before the output is directed to the sound card.

So my confusion is that if each of the 6 normal racks need their individual output volumes to be different (or the reverb mix needs to be a different level) then how would I control the global volume control/reverb in the global rack as clearly when I select each of the 6 normal racks the setting needs to be different. Ignore the obvious solution that each of the individual instruments already has its own volume control etc. and could be controlled this way - this is a hypothetical question on the principals required for this sort of problem. Or is the answer simple: this is a GLOBAL rack and you should not be trying to set different parameters for each rack change as there is only one set of values possible.

I hope it makes sense

Thanks…

If you have a widget on your global rackspace to control the reverb/volume, you can then have a corresponding widget on your local rackspace that is linked to this global one. The local rackspace widget can then have its own settings, and it will dynamically update the global widget.

There’s a good write-up here:
https://gigperformer.com/docs/GP4UserManual/how-to-control-widgets-from-global-in-regular.html

4 Likes

Thanks for this- its very helpful - I will have a play. I had looked through the online documentation and even done a google search - but had not found that particular article.

Personally I am not a fan of online documentation (by anyone) - I find it it rarely gives you the abiity to browse the subject that sticking a PDF on an iPad does. There used to be a GP downloadable PDF - but it doesn’t seem to exist any more that I can see. There is an option to download a section - but I haven’t yet figured out if I can download the whole thing (I have tried). So does anyone know if it can be done ?

@bjgee
PDF → User Manual for GP4 - #5 by djogon

Brilliant - that was fast - thanks very much! As a suggestion maybe a link should be added to the main download page where it currently just points to the online version.