Global Rackspace MIDI In?

Sorry if this is dumb, but I’ve spent the better part of the afternoon trying to figure out how to get MIDI from a Rackspace to a Global Rackspace, but not succeeding.
The manual documents routing audio to Global Rackspaces, but MIDI is only mentioned as follows: “You can of course also insert regular synth plugins along with MIDI In blocks to the Global Rackspace. This would allow you to, for example, have a piano or organ that is always available.”

I figured the MIDI In (local GP port) would be receiving on the Global Rackspace side, with a MIDI Out (local GP port) sending from the regular Rackspace, but local ports are not listed under MIDI Out?

What would be the correct way to do this?

for context:
I have a fairly big brass combi that takes up a lot of memory, rather than duplicating it across all Rackspaces that need it, I figure I set it up only once in a Global Rackspace, and have MIDI Out blocks assigned to it from the relevant Rackspaces.

I guess what I’m asking is, just as you have “To Rackspaces” and “From Rackspaces” for audio, do we have that for MIDI as well? If not, is that something that could be easily added?

Some useful discussion here:

2 Likes

Not as of yet.

You can use OSC.

I think in some cases, you can just use a Midi In block in the Global Rackspace. Audio out to the local rackspace.

Perfect! Just followed the tutorial and got MIDI incoming into the Global Rackspace. Thanks!

As an aside, this approach means I’d be limited to 16 instruments (MIDI channels), right?

To answer my own question, yes. Just tried that.

Where do you have more than 16 sources?

How do you mean, more than 16 rackspaces?

edit:

I see, I deleted this from my previous post, thinking I had answered my own question:

" As an aside, this approach means Id be limited to 16 instruments (MIDI channels), right? That should be enough, but if I want to expand in the future, I could just create MIDI(OSC)'s with different names/addresses and rinse and repeat?

Turns out, Midi channels aren’t really relevant. You can just create new OSC “MidiFromLocal” blocks and do it like that. Easy peasy.

Correct - which is why I queried your previous comment :slight_smile: