Gig Performer never ceases to amaze me

As an old fella (75 in July), I play at a lot of rest homes, cafes and open air markets where the clientellle
can often be my age. So I tend to learn songs from my youth and teenage years, as well as more contemporary stuff like George Ezra and similar.

As a consequence of the above, I sometimes need oldtime songs such as waltzes etc in 3/4 time. Today as I started on a song with 3/4 time, I scanned through my drum vst and found nothing suitable. But there was a rhythm in 4/4 time that sounded good. Then I spotted the time signature in GP on the top right. Never having used it before, I thought, what the heck, nothing to lose! So I changed the 4/4 number to a 3/4 number, and hit play. To my amazement, the drum vst started playing in a 3/4 waltz time! To check whether I was dreaming or not, I changed it back to 4/4, and it went back to four to the bar. How the vst knew to change its timing just because of a change in GP, I can’t begin to figure out.

To some folks on the forum, this will be old news, so sorry if Grandma has to learn to suck eggs. But to me, it was astounding and yet another example of how clever and easy to use Gig Performer really is.

Congrats to the developers, and keep up the good work. Here are some beers and glasses of wine :beer::wine_glass::beer::wine_glass::beer: for you all.

Cheers from New Zealand.

3 Likes

That’s the whole purpose of host sync. When you configure your drum plugin (or a delay plugin for that matter) to sync to the host, then the rate of the plugin will be driven by the host BPM and the host meter as appropriate.

Amazing. Thanks for that. Such a great product.

First, i am amazed too, to read that this actually should work.
(I use the same plugin as Al does -> Strike 2 from Air Music, and i also found already the lack of 3 based timings in the collection of the drum patterns).
So what i don’t really understand is how the plugin can follow a time signature of 3/4 and play/sound right, if the used drum pattern is based and composed for 4/4? There must be dropped one 1/4 in order to properly hit the “one” each time… is there a “trigger” signal that causes a bar to start over each time?
And what happens if i would raise the time signature for a 4/4 pattern (in the plugin) to 7/4 (in GP)?
Where will the missing 3/4 come from? Is it then just another truncated 4/4 that will be appended to the 4/4?

I can’t say what an individual plugin will do but the current meter (nominator and denominator) of the host are accessible by plugins

Hey Erik. Great that we both learned something about Airstrike 2 when used with Gig Performer. I’ll be keen to see what else you might find out when you experiment with time signatures. Perhaps others will try out other drum VSTs also to see what happens. I’m still trying to accept how easy it was to get that waltz timing just by changing one number from 3 to 4😀!

1 Like

Well I didn’t know that when you remove one beat to a rock it becomes a waltz :thinking:

1 Like

I’ve just discovered a slight problem. I set the waltz 3/4 to a tempo of 170 BPM, and I saved the rackspace at that tempo. However, when I change rackspaces and then come back to my 3/4 waltz, it doesn’t remember it’s 170 bpm. Not sure if it’s the rackspace or that I fiddled the time signature. I can’t find a midi command for tempo setting, so any further help will be gratefully received.

Solved. I was setting the tempo in the main working window instead of the rackspace properties window. Also had to tick “Set time information” and “Sync with external clock”. All good now

I’ve just been experimenting with my auto bass (Ujam Virtual Bass). It doesn’t seem to change to the 3/4 rhythm the same way that the drum vst did. There are a couple of dedicated 3/4 bass patterns in amongst the offerings, but they don’t fit that well. I guess in the end it’s up to the plugin producer to allow syncing to take place. Is there anything else I can do to get the bass patterns fitting in better?

Didn’t they hold basic ballroom classes at your school when you were about 10 years old? I know I was too shy to ask girls to get up. Anyway, we just learnt a waltz (123, 123, etc), or a foxtrot (1234, 1234, etc). And rock is often only 4/4 after all, maybe set to an 8 or 16 beat. But there are still 4 beats in the bar. So if you drop one out, you get a waltz😀.

I think he was pulling your chain :slight_smile:

Lots of rock music in 3/4 out there, including one of the greatest progressive songs, Close To The Edge by Yes. That song doesn’t sound like it’s in 3/4 but if you actually count it, it is.

The best example is Solsbury Hills from Peter Gabriel 7/4 :wink:

In Bavaria this kind of rhythm is well known as „Zwiefacher"

My favorite - listen to the organ solo in Supper’s Ready. The band is playing 9/8 and Tony Banks is playing the organ solo in 4/4

So the they didn’t tell him :wink:

1 Like

Looks like I really got “flushed”.

1 Like