Gig performer has multi touch. Is it possible to create a midi controller or mixing desk with widgets?

Greetings everyone i’m new here … I’m evaluating a trial Windows version of Gig performer on a 21 inch multi touch monitor. Gig performer has a very appealing multi touch interface So i’m curious to know if the widgets can be assembled to be used as a midi drum , key pad trigger or mixing channel desk or much more. It would be a very useful desktop version of TouchOSC or Lemur if it’s possible.

I’m aware that widgets don’t have detailed editable midi note ,channel data in the properties like a regular daw & the front rack view would be locked, but are there any workarounds?

Would a Vst like Blue cat remote control work? (A Vst what can capture every widget value & convert them to another value) Would random complex simultaneous widget use & channel grouping be effective?

Ive taken a full screen capture of how it appears.Also the channel faders are at maximum length… Is there any way to make them more longer. Or widen the fader caps to increase the touch range?

Hi, welcome! What are you looking to control - plugins or external gear? It would be good to know more details of your setup, including what you had working in TouchOSC or Lemur.

Hi. I’m a Cubase user.I have a laptop & dual monitor desktop.Id like to determine if you can control another daw on the same machine via virtual midi cable & then expand to a laptop or tablet via network midi.

It sounds convoluted however multi touch daws are rare on Windows OS so users are accustomed to using another program or device with resizable interfaces to compensate.Ive used iOS & Android tablets to control desktop Windows software via RTPmidi in the past.Ive also experimented with dedicated Windows midi interface software like Xotopad or Isopad which use virtual midi translators like Bomes or Loopbe.

I think it’s possible in Gig performer with VST3 to convert the widget data to another. I’m just trying to minimise the amount of Vsts that it will require to achieve this.

Practicality

Slider fader channels are preferred to dials & the push button would just be note on… off… or momentarily hold…Vst software like Battery 4 would do the rest.I’m not sure about transport bar , recording or editing or endless encoders. Cubase also has very detailed bidirectional midi features which will sync & update.

The search history also indicates that a user had Gig performer controlling Totalmix which is related to MCU - Mackie Control Universal & Cubase has MCU templates.

I think i’ll create a larger amount of faders & buttons as a template & then use a hardware controller & midi learn to map the widgets. Then find a single Vst which can translate the data.

I think you can set this up without any VST.

[If your DAW controls are already linked to the virtual midi port and CC, then jump to step 5]

1. Add a Midi Output block for your virtual midi port.
  2. Add a widget and map it to one of the special parameters for the CC number you want to use.
  3. On your DAW, activate the ‘Learn’ for the control you want, then move the widget to send out the CC message (or manually set the CC/port in the DAW if that is possible).
  4. Unmap the widget from the parameter and block so it is mapped to nothing.
  5. Put the widget in Learn mode and move the control from your DAW.
  6. Use the ‘Sync’ button which will ensure there is bidirectional communication, so it won’t matter if you change settings from the DAW or from GP.

I did this using the GP built-in programming language called GPScript. With a little scripting you can do almost everything you want to do. However, I have no idea of the playability of a GP onscreen drum pad.
I noticed that many GP users use Lemur (I also use it) or OSC touch (less powerfull), while it is possible to use a touch screen together with GP. Beyond MIDI, you can also use OSC to control things from GP. And using two instances of GP, one instance possibly running on another computer, you can control GP from GP.

If you attach a widget to a MIDI In Block or a MIDI Out Block you can actually generate almost any kind of MIDI event with it.

Hello & thanks to everyone for contributing.

Ive managed to get MCU control & Cubase working.I can mix tracks , edit , scroll , etc & there are multiple ways to do this in Gig Performer. I’m going to test the template with a few more Daw’s before I upload everything.

@Admin… I had problems with e mail notification so I used an older version of Gig performer.The latest version tells me that my trial period has expired. I’m going to continue the trial with version 2.6.3.

Questions from an orthodox user perspective.

Does the latest version of GP support touch swiping & does the widget button have momentary push which you can test in the rack with mouse click. Or do you need to create a script to make it behave like this?

Credits to @ pianopaul for authoring the script.

I’m going to create some templates of 88 to 100 buttons to simulate a keyboard or drum pads.
which will require momentary push buttons. I’ll need to modify a script with momentary push if the widget doesn’t do this.I’m unfamiliar with scripting so i’ll post my queries on the sub forum.

Hummm… I am not sure this will work like you want to. Widgets where probably never thought to act as keyboard keys or drum pads… :thinking:

Yes because velocity is not recognized.

Not only. It is more that the On WidgetValueChanged callback is triggered at mouse/finger touch release. (I already reported this).

Re; buttons

Touch screen midi interfaces generally have limited dynamics or expression.It’s just note on or off. A drum sampling vst can compensate a little with round robin. A user can also simultaneously use x y control for more expression.The buttons can also be used for macros.

Gig performer has multi touch OSC & scripts .It can also be used on pc’s with lower screen resolutions. These features make it an ideal Windows alternative to Touchosc. Which means a rack can also be created to encompass & cater to DMX controllers , stage & lighting rigs ,VDJs & Djs with minimal effort.

I just need to modify existing momentary push buttons created by @pianopaul & radio button scripts
created by @schamass @David-san

It’s an unorthodox but valued touch screen friendly feature.There are also very few scaleable Windows alternatives…