GForce Minimonsta Demo Nightmare: Cannot Use, Cannot Uninstall on Windows 10

I installed the GForce Minimonsta Demo thinking I was going to love this plugin and purchase it. Today has been a “Minimonsta Nightmare”.

First, the standalone application reset my Focusrite audio interface buffer size to 2048 so there was tons of latency. Easy fix.

Second problem: the standalone application has no MIDI inputs. I see the Focusrite audio interface for input and output audio devices, but I see no way of choosing MIDI input. I cannot use the standalone application with my keyboards.

Third problem: I cannot use the demo VST with Gig Performer. I can connect a MIDI block to the plugin and get sound but I cannot display the plugin within Gig Performer. Nothing appears in the plugin render dialog box and Gig Performer crashes after about 5 seconds. This is happening with the 64-bit VST.

Final problem: I can find no method of uninstalling the demo. The application is not listed under “Programs and Features” within Control Panel. There is no uninstall application. The install program for the demo has no means of choosing an uninstall option for components. Upon searching the internet I do see references to the install program allowing de-selection of components for uninstall. However, this option is not present in the demo application install program.

Please help me wake up from this Minimonsta nightmare :wink: Ideally, I’d love to test drive the demo with Gig Performer. However, no demo should be released without an uninstall option. I need to know how to uninstall the demo.

Thanks…

1 Like

Did you contact GForce?

I am not sure why you’re asking us to solve a problem with somebody else’s plugin.

Please contact GForce Software, it’s their plugin.

1 Like

There are applications such as Total Uninstall that can monitor what the setup file does to your operating system (what files it adds and where, what DLLs it registers, what Registry keys it creates).

I’d take that route.

I contacted GForce support. I was hoping someone else here had run into the issues and had solved them. I know there are others here who have used this plugin so I was surprised when I ran into tons of trouble.

@dwhitejazz

I just installed it (on Windows 11 21H2) to test it because this plugin seems interesting.
In standalone mode it works perfectly, I pushed it a bit and it reacts correctly.
To use a midi keyboard, you have to go in the setup and select it.

In plugin mode in GP, everything is fine. The cpu load is sometimes a bit high but very acceptable considering the device features.
The only problem is when you close GP: GP crashes everytime, with different messages.
The last one was:

I sent a report to GP.
it is obvious that this plugin has a problem.

Thank you for showing me where that setup button is! I kept looking in the menus and didn’t see anything. Now I can at least use the plugin in standalone mode.

New problem: now my midi keyboard connected to minimonsta crashes GP and after closing and reopening GP, my midi keyboard does not work anymore even without minimonsta loaded. No activity in the midi monitor. I need to restart Windows to make it working.
It’s a shame because this plugin is full of promise.
I will send a report to Gforce as well.

Perhaps you can wrap it and try that way. Joe Luca explains how this helped him here: https://youtu.be/KNVf8C5DSGs?t=3625

I linked the right time from the stream.

The problem mentioned in the video is not the same but, just out of curiosity, I still tested the bridged versions:

-64 bit bridged version: when opening the plugin window in GP, GP does not respond , then forcing GP to close, the following window opens:
cap15245

I assume that this window is linked to the instruction that asks for the demo warning window opening.

Then once GP is closed, the demo warning window opens (it should first happen when clicking to open the plugin and should open the GUI once clicked on “no”).
demo

• 32 bit bridged version: when trying to open the plugin, GP freezes then, forcing it to close, nothing happens.
    Once GP is closed, the demo warning window opens as with 64 bit bridged version.

I give up, if @dwhitejazz wants to take over I wish him good luck :grimacing:

Since you have to register on the site to contact support, I won’t send a report to Gforce and I’ll forget their plugin for now…

I know, just throwing some ideas :slight_smile:

Yes, you have replicated the issue and I guessed the failure to render the plugin and the subsequent crash have to do with the demo dialog box.
These issues hopefully do not happen with the non-demo version.
I can evaluate the plugin with the standalone app but have to decide whether to risk the purchase or evaluate other Moog VSTs. Cherry Audio has a new release.
30 hours is not a long time to evaluate Minimonsta especially since most of the day was consumed with these issues.

Best Minimonsta alternatives?

I use the Legend for my normal Minimoog sounds.

2 Likes

Maybe that helps for decision