Free Giveaway! Rhodes V-Pan plugin

Rhodes gives away their V-Pan FX plugin for free (until end of Jan.)!
I think this might be useful for having a real atmospheric E-Piano sound filling the room (if used moderately)…
I certainly will give it a try.

9 Likes

Just wanted to give it a try and failed with the CodeMeter License activation under macOS :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

I gave up trying to get it. Came back to the computer later and there was an email for access to it. That worked.

It’s basically a nice little stereo vibrato plugin that is very reminiscent of my old Stage 73 with twin cabinets.

That happened to me as well. Sent them an email

This license system sounds quite nasty

The worst I have encountered (bizarrely, not Roland Cloud!) is the one used by Antares which actually installs a web server on the client machine to handle the licensing.

I had a Deja-vu with FlexLM which I had to use in my early HW developer days…

No answer from support so far…

Just downloaded, installed and activated… no problems whatsoever.

EDIT: Not sure wether i should keep this plugin. I didn’t realize that “CodeMeter” is actually a “WiBu-Key” protection… seems to be quite a bit of an overkill for such a plugin.

1 Like

Agreed. Not worth the bargain.

Yeah… i also kicked it from my HD again…

3 Likes

The installer mechanism leaves something called Gorilla(something with that in the name) so if you’re like me and you want the most stripped back system possible… you might want to remove that too.

I still have and use the Rhodes but I passed on the free Pan.

2 Likes

@brandon
How much RAM is used on your system by the Rhodes Plugin?
On my Mac I saw it uses about 2GB, no streaming from disk.

As a response to my License Activation problem I first was sent back by WiBu/CodeMeter to Rhodes. Now I was given a link with a Version 1.0.1. fixing this issue under macOS.

Finally I was able to activate and can start testing …

2 Likes

Rhodes Piano Plugin takes bout 1.7 GB RAM and uses about 2% CPU cycles. Most of that RAM useage is when the GUI is loaded. If you don’t open the GUI and never load that part into ram the plugin uses only about 1.0 GB RAM.

I’ve only 16 GB, so 6%. Maybe I’ve bigger fish to fry :fish:

the upside to the Rhodes plugin is all the parameter controls for the types of Rhodes sounds you can reproduce. The controls for these parameters are in the language of that instrument and are intuitive.

The downsisde to the Rhodes plugin (and sorry… I’m not talking about V-Pan, rather the Rhodes VST) is that some of the better controls are not exposed to host automation… those that are in the “details” page. Things like velocity curve and timbre, that really define how the Rhodes behaves and sounds, are not things you can control via widgets, yet. Support seemed very interested in my feedback on that point so I am optimistitc they are coming.

I like the way Pianoteq’s Rhodes sounds but not how I have to go about tweaking or adding host automation to those parameters but that would be a lighter-weight RAM wise option assuming you are already using that for acoustic pianos.

1 Like

Have you tried Lounge Lizard from AAS?

nope, i know others like that one too but I don’t need more Rhodes options to be honest. the offical plugin sounds amazingly great with wonderful controls. the pianoteq option gives me a one-plugin congiuration for ultimate ‘economy of rackspace’ espechally using a script to open different presets from the same plugin.

Perhaps for @Frank1119 or @pianopaul a 1 GB of RAM is worth comparing other options for. I have 48 GB and I’m barely using 12 GB of that in my latest Gig file.

I’m playing guitar mainly, so what I think is not necessarily relevant :grinning:

besides the possible unelegant licensing scheme (CodeMeter / Gorilla) the download alone is about 500MB; for a panner ?!?!

I’ve not felt the need to install it at least, but maybe I’m missing out on the bee’s knees.

1 Like