Focusrite 4i4 clipping

Hi there. I am using a Focusrite 4i4 and I am experiencing pretty heavy clipping. I started noticing from GP’s mixer when I was playing, then I went to the Focusrite mixer setting and noticed that the main outs were clipping pretty badly. So had to lower the main volume quite significantly which I really do not want to do. My question is:

1. Is this common? Should I try another audio interface?
  2. Should I try to insert a limiter in my chain before the audio out in the wiring section of GP?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Hi @fsharpmajor7.

I own a Scarlett 4i4 (Windows) and I’m pretty sure it should not clip as long as you do not overdrive it. But I need to know some things:

• Clipping on the inputs or on the outputs?
  • What kind of instrument is connected. To which inputs? XLR balanced, or TRS?
  • If it is on the outputs, did you try to add a Gain Control to the point where the audio leaves GP. Is it clipping there
    *. If it is on the inputs, did you check the input settings (Line/Inst, pad)
  • Maybe you can add a picture of the ‘Focusrite Control’ screens, like these:

This doesn’t guarantee I can solve you problem, but it does improve the chance thereof.

HI Frank,

Thanks for replying. Let me answer some of your questions:

1. The clipping occurs on the output.
  2. I am not using any inputs (nothing is plugged into the input jacks front or back).
  3. My controller is Novation Launchkey 88 mk3 via USB.
  4. I noticed the clipping on the bottom right of GB, then I opened Focusrite mixer control and noticed clipping on the output.
    I do not see a place where I can post a picture of my 4i4 settings (maybe bc I am new to the community?). So below is my explanation
    What I noticed that is different from your pictures is that you have 4 different outputs corresponding to the 4 mono outs from the 4i4. Mine is only 1 stereo. When it first happened, I reset the 4i4 to default and the clipping seemed to go away.
    Just last saturday when I was performing, it clipped again so this morning I reset to default again. I guess default setting is just 1 pair of stereo out. Should I separate outputs like you since I only use output 1?

Thanks for helping

I create these images by simple copy and paste

I hope you succeed in posting a picture, because I don’t recognize this in my own setup. Tomorrow I’ll look into this, because for me it’s time to sleep :slight_smile:

Please see my settings

How many synth plugins are you sending to a single stereo pair simultaneously? If you have a few, and they’re all sending at their own full volume, then you’re going to overload the output — you might just need to reduce the volume output of each individual plugin

There is a ‘+’ sign to the right of the daw slider. You can use that to add daw outputs

That implies that somewhere in your setup in the wiring view one of more plugins produces a volume that’s too high (or as @dhj suggested, the sum of some plugins together). You can check that by placing some gain controls and look at their vu-meter. If you place the gain controls between the plugins output and the output section of GP, you can use these to lower the signal as needed.

Of course you can also use an audio mixer control.

Thank you all for the helpful observations. I do have a gain control on each instrument but did not pay attention to the levels. Will have VU meters on them to observe.