Flow diagram for MIDI paths

Hi Guys, fairly new here and slowly getting to grips with GP as I convert my live rig from Mainstage to GP. The promise of the global rack space finally won me over. However there are a few things that take a bit of digging into. I have some script mainly processing MIDI, it was not clear how the scripts worked in conjunction with global MIDI settings. Also that the global MIDI settings cannot be used with the gig manager bindings. My solution at the moment is to ignore all global MIDI settings and incorporate the collection and function require into rack space scripts. So the biggy is will GP4 allow me to have these scripts in the global rack space???

A bit of a flow diagram from physical (or virtual as per Bome et.al.) MIDI port through Rig Manager onto to the exit point of the MIDI input block in a rack space would be a useful addition in the docs.

What kind of processing?

Various, but the couple that took the most digging were multiple controls for next and previous and converting pitch bend into a cc and cc into a pitch bend for the return (sync) for some motorised faders.
I play a multi-board rig and all songs have many variations and the hand or foot that is free, is not always where is need it to be to select the next variation with a single (global) control. In Mainstage I had a few controls all linked to the same widget, footpedal, two controls left on main 88 board and two on the top synth board. With GP I have had to script this to next and previous widget that all run an on change event. I have given up with global MIDI settings as it seems they are not nameable in the scripts.

While you can certainly do this kind of thing with GP3 by using scripts, this will become trivial to do with GP4 using the new System Actions plugin as that plugin lets you control system actions such as changing variations via parameters and so you can easily use multiple widgets. The approach is slightly different….instead of having a few controls linked to the same widget, each control will be associated with its own widget but all the widgets I’ll be able to control the same operations (next, prev, etc) through the System Actions plugin.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I am hoping that GP4 global rack takes a lot of the pain from the last stage as well. I usually put things like limiters on the monitor/FoH feed, so that when the band get loud my monitor doesn’t and my own monitor mix is preserved. At the moment this is a pain as I have to build it in each space, In MS i can do this at the rig level.

Yes, the Global Rackspace will make it trivial to do that.