Finding more plugins that do not load presets when opening

I am aware that there is a known issue in Gig Performer where UA and Soundtoys plugins do not load their saved values and open to default settings, and that this issue is to be resolved in the next update.

I’m now finding that my BA-1 plugin from Baby Audio is also behaving this way, and worry there may be more developers’ plug ins that may suffer from this that I haven’t found yet. I have a big five week tour in May and June and if this problem isn’t solved in time, it will render Gig Performer unusable to me, as these issues would potentially negatively impact the performance, not to mention reflect poorly on my professionalism.

I am a massive fan of Gig Performer, but I’m getting frustrated that such a crippling issue remains unresolved for so long, I have been working around this for weeks with various projects, and I keep having to modify my sets for various gigs to accommodate it. I’ve been singing GP’s praises for a years now, but this is the first issue I’ve had that will make me warn people that it’s not a reliable software for professional use. The length and severity of this issue is profoundly souring my trust in it’s usability.

Is there any estimation on when an update implementing these fixed will be available? I will need to abandon gig performer and set up another software to be ready in time if a fix is not forthcoming.

Thanks for your time and attention to this. I do hope this can be resolved quickly and that my trust in the reliability of the software can be restored.

I think you may have it backwards. I’ve found that when certain plugins aren’t behaving a certain way inside of Gig Performer, 99 times out of 100 it is an issue with the plugins not being fully up to specification.

Something to keep in mind is that most plugins are not designed/tested/used for live performance, and certain shortcomings with those plugins aren’t exposed or encountered in a DAW-type setting. That can lead one to believe the plugin is properly written and functioning correctly. Then, when an issue arises in a live host such as Gig Performer, its easy to say, ‘It must be Gig Performers fault’, when in fact Gig Performer is only exposing a flaw in some portion of the plugin that a DAW wouldn’t.

This forum is filled with users worldwide who are touring professionals, and if reliability were ever in question about the software itself that just would not be the case. Finding reliable plugins that do as they are supposed to in a live environment is the responsibility and challenge of every user here. I’'ve had to change many plugins in my own setup simply because they did not prove to be suitable for live use vs. studio use. That didn’t mean Gig Performer was unreliable–the plugins were unreliable.

Certainly you should reach out to Baby Audio with some of these issues and perhaps they may be able to update their own plugins. The developers at GP have worked with many plugin developers in the past to help resolve the reported issues. Perhaps there is something to be done on the Gig Performer end as well, who knows? Until such discussions and investigations are made though, it isn’t fair to just label Gig Performer as unreliable. In my experience, nothing could be further from the truth.

Here’s to hoping you find a way to resolve your issues. :beers:

1 Like

I had had that thought, but it was the staff of GP that confirmed an issue on GP’s end and that a forthcoming update would solve it, my issue is that it’s been several months and said update has not arrived. It’s just a very long time, in the life of a touring musician, to have this sorta fatal issue on the “next update will solve” list.

I admit that I am making an assumption that the Baby Audio plug in fits under the umbrella of the Soundtoys/UA problem, but until this update I’m desperately waiting on drops, I’m in a kinda shitty pickle. Thanks for the reminder to check on that, I just have never had this issue before the newest version of GP and so I assume all these similar issues probably have a common cause.

Please be patient, because this will be a major new release, and it will be soon available – new reveals (aka ‘leaks’) are being presented every week.

1 Like