Feature request: VST/AU Preset management

In order to maintain a very long 100+ set list, the redundancy of having a rack space for each song should be reduced.

I think GP needs some form of central management for vst / au presets, so that presets can be launched by a variation. Some other vst hosts is already capable of this and I think it would really helpful.

Presets should also be managed by “predictive loading”.

Have you ever tried to use the setlist mode of GP? :wink:
Because this seems to be exactly what you want… The setlist keeps your songs, which you arrange with song-parts, and each songpart is connected to a rackspace (or variation) that gives you the sound you need for that part. The good thing is, that if a special sound (=rackspace/variation) is used in 56 songs and 137 songparts, it only has to be built once. So a single rackspace (or variation) can be referenced from as many songs/songparts you need.
Besides this, there is an option which lets you save a special variation that only exists in the coresponding songpart (apart from the variation in the rackspace view).
The use and benefit of ‘predictive loading’ is actually the cause why it is recommended to pack each preset-sound into a separate rackspace.

1 Like

Yes… i’ve tried that too, but the problem remains,
I stil have 100+ rackspace to maintain…
…and then also 100+ songs to maintain.

At the moment I have found a combination of GP and Akai VIP that work well with a single rack space. In a GP panel, I choose the preset with widgets for the two VIP instruments (one each for my keybeds), which then hosts all other vsti’s.

But due to stability issues and lack of AU/VST3 in VIP I would rather not use VIP…

I recently bought a VST reverb that use on all my songs.
It was a pleasure to add that to my single rackspace solution with VIP.

But imagine the redundancy when I have iterate through all my 100+ rackspaces and add the reverb and a mixer and all the connections for it…

And I think my rig will have more of that kind of maintainance in the future.

I see other vst hosts that solved this very nice.

1 Like

Are you on Mac or Windows? Do you have any spare inputs/outputs on your audio interface?

I use Mac. No spare inputs…

Predictive loading…
If I use the same big sample library in several rack spaces, each of them load that big sample lib into the memory when predicting…

Why do you have to have a rackspace for each song? I’m trying to understand why is Song/Setlist functionality not working for you. You want to reuse your rackspaces it seems, but then you say that you still have to have as many rackspaces as songs?

Is each of your songs using a completely different sound? If so - there’s no workarounds, but if you are using similar or same sounds in several songs - you can reuse those rackspaces.

Maybe I’m missing something, but @schamass suggestions were my initial thoughts as well so if you could help us understand why it doesn’t work for you - maybe we can help further or possibly add some feature requests to GP.

If you’re on a Mac, then Loopback from Rogue Amoeba is the solution for you.

See our blog article on this, specifically item 2

https://gigperformer.com/using-loopback-to-send-audio-from-one-application-to-another/

Thanks for the tip about Loopback!
Very nice software!
I will surley have use of this one…

The problem with the reverb is solved with my single rack setup.
…it was just an example and I think there will be similar changes in my setup in the future…

I will soon come back with some refined thoughts… :slight_smile:

Yes it is about 100 unique combination of presets, splittings, layering over my two keybeds (soon to be three). The count of unique presets is not more that 60.
When I still think GP is the really the best software to use, I hope some of you are interested to hear my thoughts…

This is not about fixing a certain problem, but more like mindmapping and looking from an other perspective.

I realize maybe a very minor part of GP users have needs of that large setlist as me, but indeed some of the thoughts is also good at smaller setups.

First thought, Preset library
I think finding a good preset to use is almost always a pain and a time killer and sometimes very frustrating when working with GP.

• I have to switch to the back view,
  • Open the gui of that plugin,
  • Open the plugins library,
  • Remember how it works (when most plugins have their own way of doing it…)
  • Find a preset of my taste,
  • Close the plugin,
  • Switch back to front view,

Done… puhhh!! But if I didn’t find any good preset and like to search an other plugin instead… gaaah!!

Akai VIP’s preset library is briliant! It’s so smooth, I can start browsing for presets at once (please check it out if you haven’t already…)
The category filter in Akai VIP is also good but is also a litle strenuous to keep in order.
The one thing I find particulary intresting is that the search and launch of presets is done regardless of what synth the preset belongs too!!!
Very nice!!!

That would really speed up that process in GP, ​​and I hope someone will agree… !!!
And maybe it would be possible to define widgets to launch a certain presets as speed buttons (or maybe a knob…)
for my most common presets to use ad-hoc to be to play outside of the setlist.

Ableton Live do also have a very good preset library!
Here I’m able to make sub folders, that makes organizing very simple and flexible.

Second thought, Pre/predictive loading of racks vs presets
In my setup, predictive loading do a lot of job in vain.
Some of our gigs is very dynamic and the set list changes a lot during the gig.
That makes predictive loading work a lot, resulting in NI Kontakt splash often showing up randomly…
I tried different max settings of “Max loaded racks” = 50.
With a huge amount of memory that setting could be extented and I could pre load all of may rackspaces.
I think maybe I would need at least 64GB ram… :open_mouth:
But a lot of redundant memory would be used because when I also uses a few but large presets of NI Kontakt sampling libs,
but they are used in many songs, and therefor several instances of the same sample lib is loaded at the same time.

I think most of the time/cpu spent when loading a rack space is initializing the plugins and loading its preset.
So lets say we preload the plugins and its presets (instead of the racks), then we won’t load the doublets instances of presets.
In my case, loading the whole setup will use less amount of RAM maybe by four times and I can probably preload all of my presets at 16GB RAM.

…just my thoughts! Any comments?

:slight_smile:

Regards Robert

1 Like

Do you know that you can save and plugin presets via the builtin menu of Gigperformer?
So you can find your saved presets.

1 Like

How many different rackspaces (or better sound combinations) do you need.

I think it should be possible to create minimum needed rackspaces, disable predictive load and then
you create set lists and songs which use this rackspaces.

Is this feature documented anywhere? Last time I looked, I couldn’t find any reference in the user manual. This would be very useful for me and I would like to know more about it.

For example in the user guide on page 68.
The preset menu works also for external plugins, not only the audio mixer.

1 Like

Cheers Paul, I will check it out.

In the new manual it starts on page 73.

2 Likes

New manual? Looked earlier this morning and the download link is still showing Version 2.4. Where can I get the new manual been waiting to learn all the new features?

Here you go:

https://gigperformer.com/support.html

1 Like

Thanks Paul, I went to the Downloads page before and the version there was the previous one. Didn’t get any notification that the new one was out but have it now.