Fail proof redundancy setup

Anyone have experience with iConnectivity PlayAudio12? I apologize if I should not be posting about third party products in the forum. This device allows you to run 2 computers in parallel, and switches instantly the moment it longer detects signal from the active output. My setup would consist of Gig performer running on both computers with identical setups. This redundant setup would be terrific for live performances. Anyone else have a redundant setup they are implementing for live use? I’ve worked as touring musician for 20+ years relying on backline and am transitioning to performing with plugins thanks to Gig performer.

There are quite a few search results about that device (you can use the search function for “iconnectivity”).

Here is an alternative: Plugin Alliance free plugins - #9 by rank13

Anyways, what if that device glitches or fails? :thinking:

That’s funny but true, I suppose anything is possible live.
However, the device would at the minimum serve as a second layer of security in a live setting. Computers as opposed to hardware keyboards are more prone to “crashes”. Thank you for the plugin suggestion made by another member that seems like a viable option as well.
Needless to say, Gig performer has been rock solid. Kudos to the developers!

In my experience, iConnectivity devices are NOT reliable. I’ve owned quite a few - never again.
Their drivers are rubbish. Their support is rubbish. Their entire design rationale is rubbish.
None of the company founders remain, in-house expertise vanished long ago, they rely on external developers - the list goes on. Stay away!

By comparison, Gig Performer is the most reliable live software you’ll ever find.
If you want equally reliable hardware, start with RME.

2 Likes

Are you referring to iConnectivity’s audio+MIDI interfaces, or ALL of their devices?

For quite some time I have been using an iConnectMIDI4+ interface (MIDI only; no audio), along with either an RME Fireface 800 or Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 audio interface on my ol’ 2011 MBP with great success…no audio hiccups, no dropped MIDI events, no driver issues (neither interactive nor independent).

In any event, I totally agree with your last paragraph. RME’s drivers have been rock solid all the way back to WinNT and 95. GP’s reliability has always remained top notch since the first day I had begun using it.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Yes I was wondering about the the model you mentioned. I am interested in setting up parallel computers running Gig performer with identical setups and having the Iconnectivity serve as the switch. Is this your setup?

My mistake the unit from iconnectivity is the play audio12. Eric Downs (Billie Eilish) tech runs it as redundant playback unit. The biggest show he used used it on was the Jimmy Fallon show without a hitch. Any thoughts…Gig Performer on two computers and this device?

I was referring to the subsequent devices which also include audio.
I have a MIDI4+ and yes, it’s stable. I also have MIDI2+ and 3 AUDIO4+ units.

The company’s Canadian founders were MIDI experts. In fact, they even used MIDI files to update firmware (which was REALLY weird)

They ran into trouble integrating audio. Lots of reasons which would take too long to explain. The company was taken over by venture capital after the founders couldn’t capitalize on a successful funding round i.e. they badly fumbled the move to audio.

It’s never a wise move to use digital I/O interfaces in a live situation when the device drivers are developed by a third party. Same with the software interface - it’s not made in-house.

Again, have a good look at the iConnectivity forum. Also look at the driver & firmware downloads. Not much happening anywhere! The lights are on but not many home.

I had a lot of optimism for the company at one point, specifically because no other company had devices which allowed multiple computers (including iOS devices) to connect simultaneously and route audio + MIDI between the devices. They even went to the trouble of collaborating with Apple to create the cables which allowed iOS devices to be charged by the iConnectivity device. The cables were/are very expensive & prone to failure. I’ve got a dozen here. Reliability was always an issue, because although they knew shitloads about MIDI, they knew little about digital audio.

Just one example: they should have used high quality asynchronous sample rate conversion (ASRC) within their devices. This would have resolved master clock problems, particularly with iOS.

Anyway, I’ll refrain from further critiques, except to add that Gig Performer is made by the kind of people who work at RME. People obsessed with stability, good customer service and class-leading design. I can’t say that about iConnectivity (and I spent literally years hoping it would be otherwise)

2 Likes

Shame for (if not on) iConnectivity. Although profit is necessary to sustain a business and ensure a going concern, its products’ quality, reliability, and stability should remain part of the balance, not be sacrificed.

BTW, MIDI files were used by Roland almost two decades ago to update the firmware in their digital mixers (e.g., my VM-3100Pro).

Mike

I use a single computer (MBP) in my not-too-fancy setup. My iPad can connect to the iConnectMIDI4+, and I can play my iOS synths through it (output through the audio interface), either alongside GP or recorded into my DAW (Logic).

Mike

Do we have any users implementing a redundant setup?

The venture capitalists who took over (reclaiming their investment) sacrificed knowledge.
That’s also why the launch of the Play line was bungled - the company had no clue how to actually sell it.
There is room for devices which provide redundancy, but not from a company which already has reliability problems.

1 Like

Isn’t it a bit like breaking a guitar string?
I always invest in spare gear, including a spare laptop.
Audiences are not so unforgiving they wont allow a few mins to get back to business.
The trick is to make it look effortless & calm while you scramble.
It’s part of being a live entertainer. The stakes get higher as the shows get bigger of course, but even then audiences typically understand when gear fails.
I guess what I’m saying is redundancy is smart, but it’s not 100% essential to have an automated failover for part of the rig, because the reality is anything could fail at any time, including your own playing skills.
I did my first professional gig in 1981. 99% of the time since, I’ve not encountered an insurmountable problem, whether in front of an empty room or an audience of 30,000.
I’ve got plenty of stories, but bottom line is the show goes on. It’s not a life or death zero sum game.
If you invest in the most reliable, robust gear, most of the time it just works.

4 Likes

I carry a spare laptop — have always done so, from the very beginning. Haven’t needed it so far.

But this is one of those things where it’s worth paying for “quality” - the more well-known and highly regarded laptops are probably (no guarantees of course) going to be much more reliable. It’s not the place to cut costs.

6 Likes