Exponential Audio Excalibur on sale

@pianopaul

I use Reaper.

In short, automation host in not provided by GP but by the plugin itself?

Your explanation is really clear, I understand now why some plugins show meaningless captions or nothing in the mapping window.
And it is true that when midi control is enabled for these, modifications are not followed.
I understand better now the process.

1 Like

Yes Host Automation is provided by the plugin and Gig Performe uses that.
When you see meaningless entries in the Parameter List you have to enable the Host Automation in the plugin itself to use it.
For example Kontakt or Omnisphere

Exactly - Gig Performer loads plugins and communicates with them directly via its SDK using function calls. So when a widget is “learning” a parameter, it is waiting for the plugin to call back into Gig Performer through a function when you touch or move a parameter in the plugin editor.

No MIDI involved.

Thank you everybody, I’ll sleep tonight less ignorant.

One note on this plugin. While it is an absolute steal for $9.99US, I had to buy two licenses for my two laptops as the iLok security strictly enforces only a single install per license.

Ah, it uses iLok — they just lost me as a potential customer.

The thing is, you’re not really learning MIDI – that’s just the underlying mechanism. You’re really learning an external control.

Saying “Learning MIDI” here would kinda mean that instead of saying “Learn Parameter”, we would have to say “Learn Index Number”

What about “Capture Controller”?

Interesting — love this brainstorming — your suggestion makes me think of this:

“Attach control”

2 Likes

I subjectively consider myself quite objective in terms of UI items being intuitive. The “Learn” button in the “Midi” settings is perfectly fine as it is IMO. So the one that could possibly change is the “Learn parameter”. In terms of what the button is doing, it is giving you the option to map the parameter to the widget from the plugin window, rather than from the parameter list above. So a slightly longer button name called “Map from plugin” with the corresponding tooltip when you hover your cursor over the button, is my suggestion.

If the word: Learn in “Learn Parameter” should be changed to avoid confusion (it is suitable in midi parameters), why not “Map Parameter”…

As a non native English speaker, I am probably not the best to do suggestions regarding wording. But I think the difference between “learn” and “attach”/“map”, is the notion of “look at what I am doing and memorize it” (learn from an example). So “learn from MIDI” and “learn from plugin” would be perfectly clear to me, while “attach control” or “map something” doesn’t reflect that fact that it comes from a example from a MIDI controller or a plugin window.

Being (still) a newcomer in the world of plugins and having initially only an experience of MIDI for controlling hardware synths, the notion of “host automation” was not obvious to me and I thought that plugins were controlled by MIDI too. (booooh… loooser… OK, I know…:worried:). I learned in this community that it is not the case. But I still remember that it was confusing to me, probably because I never found a clear explanation “this is MIDI and this is host automation” or perhaps I went through the explanation. Thus to tell that I can figure out where the confusion comes from.

1 Like